Thursday, January 21, 2016

Update Day 8

As my afternoon was coming to a halt at work and the texts from Kris started to lighten a little, I began to feel anxious. The typical anxiousness that comes from a mama that hasn't seen her boy all day and he's in the most critical time of his fight for life.

He sends me a text. "Mom I'm still sweating so much, and they took that pad off my bed".
And then he send me a picture of his eye. "And look, my left eye pupil is completely dilated".

My legs became weak.

I called up to the 6th floor west for our nurse Ava. She explained that his meds were adjusted and he's in the hardest days, and on and on she went as I began to cry like a baby. Trying to reassure me as I'm 50 miles away...

And then...Dr. Stein called.  He had went to Kris. As per my request. He currently has no patients up there. But stopped by to check on things. The timing couldn't of been better.
Kris sitting in panic with sweats, a dilated eye, rash and overall feeling doomed.
Dr. Stein laid it out. Your eye is from the patch (goes behind ear for nausea) you touched and must of got into your eye. Your sweats are increasing because of meds being adjusted. Taking some down a notch.
Your counts are in the lowest range because they should start climbing this weekend or next.
He's a stern man. With an assertive demeanor. He put a warm blanket of soul comfort on Kris during a time that he needs it.
He then called me. Again, reaffirming the days. The meds. These things happen. This is the path. Again, stern voice. Dr. Stein. Whom I hold the utmost respect for. His diligent demeanor and return calls to me. His passion for not making comfort in phony form, but science and medicine.

I'm headed to drop my car off for repairs. Another reminder that owning a Volkswagen will most always give me shit. I love me a VW, but these service lights bite.

Hope this update give you the moment, and picture in the day of a path in transplant.

I can't look at the eye picture for a long while that's for sure...

Come on stems...
Love,
This Warrior Mama Lisa





No comments: