Thursday, January 14, 2016

Day 1.

Good morning world....
And good new life to my son.
Last night the stems arrived around 6:30pm up to his room in an iced chest. Once I get to a normal computer I can upload the pictures. The day was a weak, sleepy and anxious one. A day that we waited for, and yet it comes just like the rest. The hurry up and wait. My worries that I kept tucked deep in soul was just getting them here. The donor. Them in a jet covering the transatlantic ocean. The driver from the airport to The City Of Hope. The counts. The nurses tired hands that were buttoning up their shift at almost 7pm.
I opened his blinds that face the nurses station just a tad bit (he likes his room dark) and watched a nurse come and set them down. He was feeling very irritated already at this point. Something I've noticed during the last few days. From feeling like shit, to being cooped up in your room. Answering questions from loved ones, or hearing the family that loves you so much carry on with excitement. All of it. He was on over load. Like a circuit that was gonna pop. My auntie Lynda came and brought our small family base camp some homemade soup. She sat up her little station of food and love just down the hall in an atrium on this beautiful 6th floor. A view of the mountains, and the highlighted city of Monrovia and down to the west, Pasadena. She made a soup to fill our tummies and soul, along with rosemary bread and brownies. We nibbled and anxiously awaited the moment those stems would infilter into my boy.

Reggie our nurse hooked it all up. That light pink bag of stems, hung there flowing with gravity.
Tears fell into my face mask. I did everything I could to keep those to myself, because the happiness and fucked up trail to get him here was finally happening. His facial hair has begun to grow back. Soon, it will be gone. The infusion took about 3 hours. I packed my goods to head home. Jen pulled her bed out. I figured those moments would be shared together. That although our family is the root in this life.  It's them to make the branches. And memories.

I drove home to climb into a hot shower and thank God. I let the hot water run down my face. Down my back.  I soaked up the day that finally arrived. I got out and got cuddles from my grand-Doggo. Bucksie who smells the bag of clothes I bring home. The kisses I get from him I believe is giving me thank you's for taking care of his daddy.

Today marks Day 1. Day 1/100. These being the vital days. This morning he called me early to say his legs are throbbing. Do you know what this means? This means that the stems are making their way to where they know to go. His entire body will hurt for MONTHS. We pray that they
Graft and hold. That his body doesn't reject.  His tummy hurts. His mouth has sores that would blow you away. He barks at me and has no patience. He can't leave his room. He must deal with all the therapists. The nurses taking vitals every 30 min, ensuring he is okay. His mom trying to encourage or add or replace blankets.
The look on his face today while looking through his phone and chit chatting with people screams "this sucks"

But he knows. He knows why and who and where. And the gift to be where he is. It's just a shitty path for this to be over. This morning I asked his team of docs if they can give him something for the anxiety. And something for sleep. Both of which they obliged.
They get it.
They see his body. They know his life style. Tomorrow is a new day. Good or bad. Kalis coming later today to relieve me. I'm a tad bit exhausted. More emotionally than physical. Mamas usually get the short end of the stick when one isn't feeling well. We are also the ones trying to make things better.
And so...I will ramp up my energy. My spirit. My faith.

To my friends, and to my family...THANK YOU! To his friends, especially his long time friends...thank you! Your love helps. He's trying to edit pictures. But mostly glued to his phone.

Me? I'm peeking through closed blinds down into the city of Duarte.

But guess what? They have amazing coffee here....

And doctors and nurses.

German dude, how I can't wait to greet, thank....and hopefully hug you one day!
Pop Stahl is smiling down from Heaven....

Danke!

This mama warrior lisa
















No comments: