Monday, January 18, 2016

Day 5

Good morning from my lovely desk in fiberglass land.  A desk that I've neglected to fully acknowledge. 
Especially while my boy is fighting each day.  Yesterday afternoon he managed to shower. That shower was most delicate, as his weak body is so hard to even stand up.  His platelets at 8.  He loves the warm water running down his face. So much so that if he could stand there long enough he would.  But he can't.  
The biggest endeavor is just standing.  

Wash cloths hurt.  Soap hurts.  

As he gets out we have this pattern.  Four towels quickly wrapped around him, and two huge hot blankets to soothe him.  He still stands there shaking.  Because I have to apply an itch helper lotion all over him.  Which makes the whole process even more miserable.  Goose bumps, and mama with purple gloves trying to be as easy as possible.
After we dry up, his cozy socks, unders and whatever t-shirt or thermal sounds good.  I try to lay a couple out.  You know that feeling when you're so sick and you feel like shit and people are talking and asking questions?  Well, that's no bueno. 
I operate on quiet one to two word commands, or questions.  Nothing less or nothing more.  
I've been barked at for jumping up if he's headed to bathroom.  "Mom, stop"- 

I get it.  He sits on his phone and computer but at times reaches out, and opens a nice conversation.  The hard part about being a caretaker is navigating around this. Those he cares to have around, and those that frustrate him.  I never want to be the bad guy.  Just the helper. lol

He crawled back into bed, that was freshly made.  And new clean pillow cases I slipped back on. 
Beanies are irritating to him. 

After getting settled in bed, and he asking that I remove his biggest blanket, he asked the nurse "will you check to see if I have a fever"? 
And fever was right.  101. 
From there labs are taken. A few from port, and a couple from opposite arm.  
He was started on two more antibiotics.  Both of which are broad spectrum coverage.
His left arm still swollen from elbow down.  Prompting me to remind the nurse and charge nurse that I asked about it Friday, and someone needs to page the oncologist on staff to see what's up.  
Jen arrived, with her smile, and encouraging words to him.

I gathered my goods.  His dirty blankets, unders, socks, and pillow cases and off I went. 
Out into the cold Duarte air. As I leave, I always walk to my car praying.  Praying for Thanks and praying for each day I am able to sit next to him. 
My view...IF....he will let me open the blinds. Right now they remain closed--


City Of Hope, you've made sure to help save him.  You've given to him more than I ever imagined.  And I've never seen a body become so challenged.  One day closer to a better body.  Praying his body accepts these cells and he can have a forever changed flow of blood.  And marrow.
I'm headed there in a bit today.  Hopefully in time to see the results from MRI being done on his arm today.  
Squeaky wheel.....

Happy gloomy Monday people!
Counts-
WBC 0.1
Hgb 7.8
Platelets 23
Cr: .61

Come on baby......grow baby grow.......

Love to you,

This Warrior Mama Lisa

No comments: