Wednesday, January 13, 2016

T-0

You know, from the day we received that phone call that a donor was found I was elated, shocked and scared.  Fear took over mostly and I tried to keep that buried.  The night he was admitted I was a wreck. All of the rumors and discussion of radiation and chemo, side effect of it all wrangled me into a ball. And yet, as a mama you just get up, get dressed and get going. You arrive to his room receiving that dimpled smile and the common complaints of nausea and pain. Each day that he would become the old Kris acting silly, messing with the nurses, and on and on. And then you'd watch the change. His pale skin freckled with hair that is growing in. A mustache and beard so dark it's hard to believe its gonna leave.
Last night Kali and I drove home, hugging the carpool lane with exhaustion from really doing nothing, but a tad but stoked to actually see the sun setting. An old Led Zeppelin song came on that took me back to my dad rocking out playing air guitar. We laughed and laughed. Bill showed up to take us to dinner. I sipped the famous SuperMex margarita sitting next to my other favorite peeps.

This morning I woke to find my friends Maria and Shelly dropped a basket of LOVE on my porch.
Instantly I began to cry. I haven't stopped. When I arrived here today his counts are gone. He said "mama this is so hard like a flu feeling". All I could say is "Bub I am so sorry, but mamas gonna do everything I can to help them help you" first stop nurses station where I dropped them some goodies on behalf of my son, and us. And chatted with both docs. Korrie my favorite PA told me these next ten days are the hard ones. The ones that are critical. Fevers will come and go, as his body works to accept these stem cells. She hugged me tight and wiped my tears. She said having support and his family will help push through. They also gave me the count of stems from the donor that are absolutely amazing.  Once I get the numbers I'll post.

Our nurse Reggie says he's hoping to be here to give this new birthday gift to Kris.
I just helped him shower again, and the silly spirit is gone. He sat in the shower chair as I handed him the moisturizer soaps and oils to help his skin.  He stays on his phone during the day to help break the cycle of fear and all of it. I asked for them to give him something to sleep at night. Although they're in here frequently, he's wiped out.

As I'm typing this he's finally falling asleep.
His transplant should be around 7-8pm tonight, realistically. Once they process, count, verify and input. The stems filter into his body by gravity to ensure that the machines don't alter anything. And because the counts from donor are super good and high, it could be thick which can take anywhere from an hour, to four.

This is it! Pray on my fellow warriors-
Counts today-
WBC  0.1
Hgb. 10.2
Platelets 85
Cr.  0.19

January 13, 2016-

Love and peace,

This Warrior Mama Lisa





No comments: