Thursday, February 28, 2013

I know this much.

Raising a teenage daughter has by far been the most challenging.  Most recently than any other time. It's just  a puzzle. Her first 6 weeks of life were kind of horrible.  Actually 3 months.  She was a fussy colicky baby. But such the sweet soul thereafter.  Always helpful.  Always loving.  Fast forward Chapter s.i.x.t.e.e.n.  One minute she's so sweet and appreciative, and the next moment she is a quiet stinger of a creature that sleeps under the same roof as me.  This Mom that would drop anything to help her.  This Mom that has prepared, talked, helped and loved every single ounce of her being. 
And so this morning I finally decided.  It's time for a "Come to Mama" talk.  It's time to sit her down and explain that she is NOT a Queen in our home.  That the very car she drives is in fact mine. That the food I prepare each day is a blessing.  That my soul deserves more time and respect.  That her phone that acts as a life support system isn't mandatory but more luxury.  That her friends that live in "higher places" are in for a shocker someday when all of their little luxuries, credit cards, and fancy cars become their own responsibility.  We haven't been one to "hand" things to Kali.  However this chick DOES have some pretty nice conveniences...and luxuries.  She does.  And each time her attitude kicks in, the more I'd like to yank a few things.
Kali doesn't have a mean spirit, just more dry and kind of stand offish.  She gives me this vibe of "I'm overwhelmed and tired".  I get it . I'm tired too.  I have been tired.  I've had sleepless nights many many times over raising her/them.  So I understand tired.
I'm trying hard to teach her the concept of responsibility and respect.  These two things do in fact go hand in hand.  That coming home from school and doing chores, and cleaning her room and "hanging up ALL her clothes" is in fact necessary.  And talking with her Mom in a non-condescending way is expected.  Because lately when I say things, she seriously looks at me like I am a martian.  She does. And it hurts. At times I actually feel like dosie-do-in' her around. 
Her life is just this.  School. Gianni. Friends. Soccer. Car. Gatherings for friends.  More school.  Is it just me that needs to understand that being 16 and 17 is a selfish age?  Am I being too sensitive?  Am I forgetting these years with my boy? Are these changes happening just more self awareness? Or is this girl just in need of a nice sit down chat?
Maybe what I am trying to say, is she that she sometimes acts like an.....Ass.  eh em.  kidding.
No seriously, lately things have been different.  Way different. As in I feel like I am losing that super close relationship with her. My sweet little sugar plum.
Is this a phase?  Do any of you that have raised teen girls or have participated in this rodeo have good advice? Still in this rodeo with me?  Man, I feel your pain.  That's for golly dang sure-
Does my "This too shall pass" motto live strong and true at this point?

I just wish these days will become sweeter and more enjoyable around her.  I wish that her attitude would break free.  That she soon realizes her time with her Mom isn't guaranteed.  And that she would realize this.
It does hurt at times.  Thanks for reading my rant. My journal. 
My talk with her will come sooner than later.  I need to clarify some things.
Yes, her chores are a priority and the house she lives in does in fact require attention.
That her "bank card" will be earned.
This world doesn't revolve just around her.  I will make this very clear. Until then, pray for me.  Or pray for her.  That she still has a phone, car, arms and legs.  jk.

boom.

Enjoy your day, you parents that have raised your little creatures successfully.

Happy Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thursday.

Words of encouragement welcome.  

P.S.  Happy Birthday Carmen!

L






No comments: