Thursday, October 3, 2013

What Mommyhood has taught me.

There has never been the perfect recipe for raising kids.
Or at least I haven't found one.
I've heard several suggestions.
I've shared several ideas.
Most of the time, it's a personal opinion.
Always just my opinion.
Often times when I give suggestions, it's out of mere experience.
Sometimes it works for me, and sometimes it doesn't.
And the same goes for you.


Those moments where you wonder what path your child is headed down.
You wonder how will they make it in this big world.
Where work ethic and social media have been tangled in the soup of life.
My children have had let downs, and high fives.
They've shared long nights in their rooms worried.
About school.  Work. Life. Relationships.
They've made the team, and yet didn't quite fit in that perfection for a star player.  Or the sharpest student.
Good students, just not perfect. 

The one person that always sits in quiet, while sorting through good and bad times, is me. 
Cheering them on.  Or discussing
This week, on Monday morning to be exact, while I struggled with hazy tired eyes, and work spread out in front of me, I received a text-  From Kali.


Originally she thought it was Senior of the Month.

However, meet my Senior of the Week.

In my mad dash rush to catch this sign, along with some family....(minus Dad, we'll go by again tonight)-she was hesitant.

"Mom, seriously, I will get it while at school"-

Oh....no that won't work sweet girl.  That won't work for this Mama....We must celebrate!
She stepped away from many different things this year.  So did I.
Marching to our own beat.  To be that person we are meant to be.


I am so proud of her. 

These votes are tallied from teachers. 
Our evening wouldn't be complete without these few others that make our chapters extra sweet.
Your Mom that walks beside you in sweet glory.  All. The. Time. 
Each time the names would scroll past the athletics, etc.  My heart would flutter.  My cheeks hurt from smiling so big. 
To all the seniors at Los Al, and abroad.....learn to fly and fly away.  To where your heart tells you to.



Big fist pumps....to you my chapter seventeen girl.  A bigger fist pump to the days like this that make all the hard ones disappear into never ever land.  

Sweet goodness.

To her.

And to all of you.

While I stand here watching, and cheering.

Remember the quote on comparison.

Never compare your own capabilities.  And be the fist pumper behind your little stars.  Tell them how great they are often.  Never ever enough.

Take that, you middle of the night worrier mommy that has big hopes for her birdies.




Mommyhood has taught me to stand back, and let her pave the road. 

And continue to make yummy meals, and wonderful lunches...with love notes tucked inside.
Always love notes. 


Happy Day to all of you.  You parents of the week.
Or maybe this week you have a D in parenting.  That's ok.
There's no recipe book.  Remember?

Just keep keeping on. 
"I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better". -Maya Angelou
Boom chaka laka boooom!
 

No comments: