Wednesday, June 27, 2012

And the wait begins.....

Well...this certainly is not our first rodeo.  And by that I mean Soccer.  High School Soccer to be exact.  And try-outs. And 4 open spots on Varsity.  And the fears with camp, friends, coaches, and all the simple drama that unfolds in the roller coaster that follows suit shortly after camp ends. ( I snapped this shot yesterday. Picking her up. With Love, The memory keeper and her bad ass camera)

Kali and I went around in huge circles. About Soccer.  High School Soccer.  When I say huge circles, I mean huge.  We are talking about "Mom, I AM NOT playing HS Soccer"  -  "I'm over it".  Walking into her room, closing the door, while I stood there.  Speechless.  Well, kind of speechless.  I would wait.  I would bring it up again.  Hoping the moment I mentioned was "probably not the right time".  To make a long dramatic story, short.  Especially for those of you that do not have kids, or have passed this Ave. many times before.  Something strange happens at 16.  To some.   For some reason, which I totally get.  She was exhausted from soccer.  Club, HS, Academics...etc.  Oh. And dare I mention that thing called a "social life"?   And so I prayed.  I prayed for answers.  I prayed for whatever would happen, would happen the right way.  That what people explained to me "Oh, Lisa it happens at this age..."  "Hold on..it will work out"..So...2 weeks before camp started, I sent in my payment.  I told her that she'd HAVE to give it a try.   Try out for Varsity.  Try out with your friends, including her 2 besties, and give it her best shot.  What's the worst that can happen?  What's the best that can happen?  The memories of HS will forever be.  And that is because of me.  Because I push.  She can resent me now, or resent me later.  But because of the word "TRY"....life will be uncertain otherwise.  Right? 

And so we left it at that.  Today was the last day.  4 spots left for Varsity.  We won't know who makes those spots until August.  And that is perfectly fine.  She will be a Junior next year.  Soon enough a Senior and HS will be gone and done.  Whatever comes out of this, is worth the shot.   Club soccer....actually soccer in general has made up her/my schedule since she was 5.  Until she really feels the need to toss the towel in, or pack away her cleats, I will push.  Oh, boy I will push.  And pray. 

Most importantly I admire Kali.  I truly do.  Tryout's.  Big Game days....Club Teams. Playing against girls at this age.  Their bodies.  Their diet.  Their social life and juggling between tucking away early to wake and play early ball.  Sacrifice.  Admirable.  From my core. I admire her. 

Last year.  #13.  Life as HS Soccer as we knew know it.  I worked hard for the team.  I support Los Al Soccer.  I cross my fingers, toes and all things that give luck. I will pray.  I am not ready to give it up yet.  Too many years, too many fields.  Too many awesome moments watching this girl kick that ball.  


Oh the love of sports, girls, and raising kids.   For those of you that have been down this road, pray for me, pray for us.   For those of you soon to merge onto this avenue....be ready.  Be strong.  Be strong. Be strong.  Be real.   Happy Hump Day.  


That's WHAT'S up for WEDNESDAY..............


Love, 


Me

No comments: