Sunday, March 23, 2014

Slices of irony.

The weeks leading up to my sons graduation were weird. Not in a bad way, but not necessarily in a good way either.  The stress meter bumped up a bit, and things were changing faster than we both expected.
He on one hand was trying to become Mr. Independent.  Me, on the other hand was more stressed over what was next.  The next chapter.  Still a bit naive I guess.  Wrapped up in living this life of mine. The visits from family.  My parents to be exact.  The dinner planned.  The actual ceremony.  All of the little things were shoved in a capsule, just waiting to be broken.

A few nights before his actual ceremony we had a HUGE arguement.  What started out as a stubborn moment, turned into a full blown, fight.  He stormed off, with words to me that I will never forget.  Words I said to him, he most likely will never forget.  Maybe we have.  Either way, it was rough.  He planned to not come home, and wasn't attending his ceremony.  Didn't care that Grandma and Papa would be here soon.
All. Of.  It.

Within the next day or so, everything settled.  The dust fell into the places it needed to.  The son he was and the Mom I was soon fell back into a groove.
I remember so perfectly the night before his graduation ceremony we went to dinner.  And we had a great talk.  Waking the next morning with a huge day ahead of us.  My parents were in town.  All the goods falling into place.

I had been wanting him to listen to this song.  A song that reminds me of him every time it plays, no matter where we are.  I will always well up with tears.  Hours before his ceremony, we were in our home.  Alone.  I asked him to come sit and listen to it.  He did, with sincere ears open.  He did.   I cried of course, and hugged him as he got up from the chair, I expected a typical teenage awkward embrace.  But instead, he hugged me back and said.."that's cool Mom, thanks"---

While driving home today the song came on.  It's crossed my mind lately with all the fast changes beginning to form with Kali.  It will remind me of her too.


As I make my way around a corner close to home, Kris is headed in my direction.  Driving to one another, we soon stop in the middle of the road to chat.  Little did he know that my eyes had tears under my glasses.  That my world has evolved around him for almost 25 years.
The changes, the lifestyles.  All of the things that make up motherhood are staring at me in the face.
Like never before.
"Loving one another every step of the way"


I know I can be sappy folks.  Just know that when the time slips in front of you, and the directional arrow is relying on you to pull the trigger to make it all happen, it's that moment that some things have slices of irony written all over em.

Today we are planning a next huge step for Kali.  A family discussion will take place.
Letters of intent, and signatures through email will form.

I always hope and pray that my children will stop and listen to this song once in a great while in their lives, and remember me.

"Be couragous and brave and in my heart you'll away be forever young"

"May sunshine and happiness surround you when you're far from home"

"And do unto others as you'd have done to you"


Forever Young


May you grow to be proud, dignified and true.  





Happy Sunday Sappy Peeps, if any of you are out there.


Peace, yummy love and Sunday mornings.  Nothin' better -  xo

Stay Forever Young.

L

ps.  My phone still sucks.  It's not me.  It's it. ha.
I can't open pictures because gosh knows why.  So don't send me a teaser of anything good, cuz I will want to throw in the ocean even more.  That's all!

No comments: