Saturday, March 15, 2014

And you start the tours.

Kali's acceptance letters have rolled in.  She's waited for a couple more.  With one declination email, the others will sooner than later give answers.
While we wait, we digest.
While we digest, we sort.
While we sort, we plan.
Out of the spot light and in my room alone, many things fill my motherly soul up.
What's the best place.
How does it all fall into place.
How do chapters fill up so fast, and the pages turn faster at this point.
My concerns kept to myself. Most of the time. 


So we've started to sort.  In talk.  In quiet.  Together, alone and most of all, as a family.
Yesterday marked our first tour. 

As we arrived near San Marcos, I could see a new community.  I mostly felt safe.
She had a few opinions of her own, but soon would be filtering those thoughts. Me too.
Let me tell you, these days, and these decisions are far more than what I expected.  I never went  to college.
I never walked this walk with my boy.  I never walked these steps, let alone with my sweet girl. My baby, if you will.

These days are happening.

This is what we felt.  Not to mention, on a Friday. Perfect temps. Together.  On the road.

San Marcos you're a fine feller.















As you walk through these tours, you see different aspects of these chapters.  Parenting in its true form.
Teens doing what they know best.  Awkward looks at each other.  The shrug of affection as you caress their back.  Or put a hand on their leg.  They are sorting just as much as us. 
I noticed Kali's eye on the fields.  Her appeal to beauty, and newness more than anything else.
I think she leans on this for a home sick remedy.  If there were to be one.


I could feel these overwhelmed vibes at times, yet a value of safety from her at other times.
She would ask the girl next to her.."where are you from"- 

And of course we'd crack each other up with silly antics too.
She's worked extremely hard to fit into this new chapter.
The dorms are her main concern.  Her night time rituals and ways.  Her non-partying lifestyle and how she'd fit in, with sleep space, and etc.
The first set of dorms I felt her nose in the air.  A bit taken back by the tour guide I guess.
So soon we'd scoot across the street to "The Quads"-  Where the newness again bought her.
I'm not gonna lie, the place is over the top. Clean and just built in November 2013.  All the safe amenities for a freshman.
The price list held in my hand as we walked with our little group, room to room, hall to hall, and elevator to elevator. 
As an entrance to the laundry room.....
I kind of held my breath as to what the fee's would include.  Because my thought is we can afford this. ha.
First room, a single room, and bed to themselves.  Her eyes wide open.

A bathroom shared by 2 girls. 
The bed raised as high as 5 feet for storage...
A living room shared by 4.  With a new kitchen.


This little book as a reminder for me.  ha. "Billy"
The day was filled with many ideas.  Many stories.  Many "what if's"-  Many, "mom, what do you think"-

These decisions will come sooner than later.  More tours planned.  More ideas to toss in the air.

More pondering of finances, and where'abouts.  More planning of what fits her best.

Nursing programs are impacted everywhere.  It's her career path as of right now.  We'll see what her future holds.

I know a few things.  Support, love and positive thoughts will help her decisions.  Family and friends will stand by to watch her make these next steps.

My parents will send words of love such as :FROM MY DAD:  "Good morning girls! Hope you find what you want Kali. We are so proud of you Kali and your Mom for doing such a good job raising you! Whatever your decision is, I know it will be right for the both of you-

MY MOM: Lisa, good job, Kali will do great and we are so proud!

MY SIS: Good morning. I hope you guys have a good trip and drive.  Send me a pic of the campus Kali!

Her bro gave her a hug.  Her Dad called with love and good wishes.

It's pushing what we hope is the right choice.


"It CAN BE DONE"

For you peeps with little ones, be ready.  Be real ready.

Love and happy Saturday to you all.

Get out in the sunshine...if not today, well you better tomorrow!

Love,

L

No comments: