Thursday, September 3, 2015

Things I've leaned

Today marks 2 weeks and one day that I've pulled into this hospital, rallied for a parking spot, and made my way to Room 4111.
Things I have learned and observed...

  • The elevator has a smell that I hope to never smell again someday on the Earth.
  • Some nurses are amazing and some aren't. Ethnicity plays a role. Sorry not sorry.
  • Doctors are here for one thing. To work and save lives. Not rub my soul or paint pretty pictures.
  • Kaiser hospital food is actually decent food.
  • That my phobia of cafeteria settings quickly went out the door.
  • The silence button on an IV cart line is Orange.
  • The best little hiding spot is down the hall where I can take my mask off and breathe but my view is a little unsettling because of my fear of heights. Hello down there Downey...
  • I've had more spiritual "things" happen in these last 2 weeks than ever. So now I look up and chuckle. I hear ya dude.
  • I've wiped down his room with antibacterial wipes with enough wipies to fill a room.
  • I've yet to see the shitty scary doctor from night 1...yet have seen ALL the rest. Works for me.
  • My path from home to here is sometimes a blur.
  • I've walked out to my car twice with no memory of where I parked.
  • I've felt our little family pull together tighter and with more meaning than ever in the 17 years we blended.
  • I've watched employees work their asses off for me, and him...because they genuinely care.
  • I sat through a small earthquake this week here on the 4th floor and had no idea. Kris laughs hard about that.
  • That dude had hundreds of friends. One of which rode his Harley here from Oceanside just now with smoked fish for us. 
  • They clean the floors with vinegar which trips me out. 
  • I stare at his beautiful hair everyday, wondering and waiting for transition.
  • More guilty of crying down the haul than not.
  • Nurses hand tissue like its water....lol
  • When a compromised immunity is in play you learn which eateries are clean and well kept. One, being is In-N-Out. Holla Mel to McKenna...
  • More people miss-spell Kris' name each day and I continue to correct. KRIS Not Chris. Thanks
  • Medicinal marijuana has thus far helped his nausea and body aches. In liquid form, so don't worry we aren't hot boxing this place.
  • I've decorated his room with as much little pieces of love I can get away with.
  • Today was the first day that I noticed Bucks looking for him.
  • Friends still text me after nine, and I'm close to blocking numbers.
  • Shark week is gonna suck.
  • Nurses work their asses off.
  • Smiles and kindness still move mountains. I've made new friends. 
  • My son is fighting so hard. And our family is part of his army.
  • Jen wins girlfriend of a lifetime award. 
  • Kris loves fresh pillow cases.
  • I never imagined we would be fighting cancer.
  • We will win--
  • I love each and every family member, friend and words of encouragement. I can't answer them all, but I hear you loud and clear. Round 3 CHEMO lets do this.

2 comments:

Sharon Bruyere said...

Hi Lisa,
You don't really know me but I am the mother of one of Kris's (or as we know him Keebler's) friends from high school... Corey Bruyere. We live just around the corner from where Keebler lived in Lakewood. I have been reading your blog from your very first post and working my way to the most current post. This particular post both made me laugh and cry. Your are amazing! You might think you are just doing what any mom would do, but your strength exudes out these posts. You are showing a face of immense faith and trust in a higher power and that needs to be commended and encouraged. Stay strong mama. I will be praying for Kris and you and Kali, and your entire family and close friends.

God Bless you and Kris!
Sharon Bruyere

The Stork and The Beanstalk said...

Happened to make the click over to here from my own blog. You're one strong Mama, with one beautiful son. I work as an RN on an orthopedic and oncology unit so some of these gave me a good chuckle and just wanted you to know that you're being heard and felt and that as much love a stranger can offer is being sent. And thank goodness for that little orange silent button... I think that gave me the best chuckle of all. So many warm wishes being sent your way and Kris' way as well. Will keep y'all in my thoughts and keep your comments in mind when I take care of my own patients... starting with, "Oh, your name is Chris?, do you spell that with a 'Ch' or a 'K'?"... haha just for you. Love to you, sweet mama.