Monday, September 7, 2015

The gift of wine.

One of my rituals as I arrive home from the hospital each night is a glass of wine. Bill kind of chuckled the other day because I've never had bottles sitting on my counter readily available everyday. Well, right now it's the only thing that brings me down from mama warrior space out mode.

The last few days were literally the rollercoaster we knew would be. A few days ago he was in so much pain and so exhausted and sleepy that he would bark at us with frustrations. Yesterday and today the topic is food. All things food. He has no taste buds right now and what's left is a metal taste.
So...we've moved into all things lemon. Anything salty and anything he can sprinkle Lawrys seasoning salt on. This morning I drove to three different places for everything he was craving.

His white and red blood counts are up. He walked yesterday and sat out in the sun for a little bit. He is fighting like we knew he would.  Some days are better than other. His room is our camp site. We all do the day shifts and his amazing girlfriend does the night shift. We all have a different story to tell each day. From amazing nurses to some that still can't seem to communicate the term "he" or "she" when speaking. Which generally is the only time you will see your friend Lisa turn into a sassy bitch. I've been loving, kind and helpful through all of this...but sometimes I kind of lose my patient hat.

An oncologist stopped by today to check on him during his 19th day here. So far so good, and the plan of attack looks great thus far. He wondered what and how his symptoms all started and as I hear the story for the 100th time, I still can't grasp it either. Perfectly fine one month, to land here fighting for your life a few months later.

Today's highlight is I asked to have him taken back out side for a bit while they douche this room from top to bottom. I've cleaned it thoroughly with Chlorox wipes like a crazy bandit. He laughs at me as I wipe the bed, nurses area, urinal handles, and door knobs. I helped shower him yesterday and
say I wailed with laughter is an understatement. Let's just say, it's only a task a mama or wife would
want to see.  Wash clothes had to be tossed..LOL

Every day is a new day. He's gonna fight this. And we are gonna look back on these sleepless painful nauseated nights as a memory. Not the best memory but one that proved all the love we have for eachother. Through friends, family, girlfriends, and us. Our unit.

We're in it to win it.

Be true and love hard you guys. Live for today and say sorry. You will never regret it.

Thank you for all the love, kindness and true companionship.

Happy early birthday Shelley! Sorry I missed your dinner last night...next year homegirl, next year.

Go in peace..

Mama Warrior Lisa
Ps...grammar, spell check and language skills are not perfect haha I can't edit once I scroll down on my ipad.

Silver lining here at hotel del Kaiser? Weekend WiFi is EPIC fast haha!






No comments: