Thursday, September 10, 2015

Soul To Soul

The last couple of days we watched Kris' White and Red counts rise.  We also witnessed his platelets go up higher than ever in the last two days.  What this means is his body is reacting to Chemo.
Cancer is suffering by the poison.  Although the side effects of chemo take it's toll on them, it's a good sign when they grow back.  We won't know the severity to all of this until a few months down the road when they do another bone marrow biopsy.

Each day, we witness new things.  Taste buds that are gone, and soon try to grow back.  The metal taste comes on strong, and sort of lingers at a distance the next day.
As I mentioned in my previous post, his platelets (which consider them like the flour in our blood..the thickener) should be in the 240 range.  When he arrived at the ER that night, they were at 18.
Each day, they'd drop more.  Down to 6 one day.  What can happen is you can bleed out.  A small cut, even in your intestines can bleed out and there isn't anything to stop it.  So he had platelet transfusions almost each day, sometimes every other.

They began to come back. On their own. Which meant the cancer isn't getting the chance to gobble them up.

So when we stood in the hallway that day talking to our favorite doctor (Dr. Diep) he stated that this is a good sign.  That Kris seems to be moving along in a very good way.  That each day is new growth. Even with chemo, it's a good sign.

Yesterday was another round of the gnarly chemo that made him go into convulsions and puke hard core the first round.  My Aunt and Bill stayed in there with him, while I ran out with Kali in sheer panic.
When I was driving to the hospital yesterday morning my sister called and said "they are waiting for you before they start"- In my scarity cat head, I was like.."oh shit, oh no, I don't want to do this alone"
The nurse "Silvia" is AWESOME- They were talking fish, boats, friends...etc.
I said "okay, let's do this" as my legs were chattering together and I wanted to curl in the corner with a blanket. She assured me that his body has already been introduced to the poison.  That he most likely wouldn't have a reaction because we started at 50, for 30 minutes moving on to 100 soon and then up to 150...where my legs felt jittery again.

That was when his friend "Sparks" stopped in. Unexpectedly.
What's so interesting in this journey of Chapter 26 are the little crazy spiritual signs I have witnessed.
I'll save that for another day and another post.  I hope I don't forget them all. But man....you guys. CRAZY stuff.
So Sparks walks in...(he's the type of guy that lights up a room by his silly yet politely obnoxious ways always filling the room with the aroma of herb) His hug to me, and his bright cheery "Dude what the F*UCK to Kris, made us chuckle. 
And Sparks stayed the entire duration.  They talked all things fish, friends, travel plans...and the shitty parts of this thing called Leukemia.  The side effects of chemo and rounds of love from friends and family. He instantly took Kris' mind to a new place.  Instead of waiting and worrying for a side effect, he drifted off to boats, and fish, and captains....it was awesome.  For all of us.
Soon, Jen arrived, and with a room full of Chemo Nurse Silvia, Jen and Sparks I decided my trek back to work for an hour to clear more emails, and paperwork until I heard from him would be best.
He said "Mama, I'm leaving here today and when I get out of here, we're going to Pier 76, okay...so tell Dad"

You bet Bub, we are.  Let's wait for Dr. Chen and go from there...

All along I keep thinking of hospital time which is 2-3 hours for every movement.  All except for housekeeping and food.  They were AMAZING! I made so many friends in there.

About two hours after arriving back to my office he texted me and said Dr. Chen came by and said I will be released very soon.  So Mom, drive here and put on your flashers and wait out front.
I did just that. Bucksie and I.
The funny part to this, is I had planned on a grand exit for when he left.  We anticipated him staying another week at LEAST.
As I sat there with my air blasting my face watching people come and go from the doors of that hospital that I walked into every single day except for one in 3 weeks....
I see Kris.  Walking out.  His favorite nurse. Jen..and a cart filled with all things Room 4111.
He was bawling.  Holding his pillow, and that dimple making it's way as he spotted Bucksie

I hopped out, crying myself...hugging our nurse who was also crying....loading Jens car, and mine.
Taking mental notes for meds, that soon flew out the window this morning when I began to panic.
Bucksie into his Dads arms, into Jens car...they were off.
I soon went inside to gather all the meds and little things that will keep him stable for the next week before another round of outpatient chemo.

Calling Kali and Bill letting them know it was done.  Just like that.  Bill said "hun I am just pulling in".  I said, go head home.
He wants to go get a "LOBSTER ROLL" down in LB.
I drove home with my car filled.  Pulled in to unload and grab Kali and Bill.
It was so muggy and hot, as we arrived down in LB on Pine to his favorite little place.
His good friend Scotty, his boys Brody and Harley...along with his friend Zack and Sparks.
Jen, Kris, Bill, Kali, Bucks and I.  Smiling at each other, sharing an amazing prayer led by Brody (who was rudely interrupted by the waiter...I mean, can't you tell a party of 10 has their heads bowed praying and you ask who ordered the kale salad..? jerk-don't know why just typing this pisses me off, I feel like calling) anyway...breathe out leese, breathe out.
Post hospital Lobster Roll

We ate quickly as we could tell he was fading.  Our walk back to the car was slow but fast.  Just us.  Smiling at eachother but knowing he has a fight.
These days will have light and they will have dark.  He will get sicker before better.

Right now we are taking it one day at a time.  Learning as we go.

My girlfriend Donna Crow drove down to my porch delivering these babies for the nurses and us. She lives in Frazier Park.... She customized each white one with Kris' name on them.  You should see the look on nursing staffs faces....Being thanked for sharing kindness to our boy.


Love.  And Family.  And friendship.  And fighting a hard but worthy fight.  We WILL get through this.

I feel your love, and your vibes people.  I do.

I share with him, and we smile.  Last night his phone was blowing up sitting next to me.  I said "Kris do you want your phone honey"-  "No mama, it's okay...I'll get to it later"

I think he was cherishing the moment.

Leukemia, you won't take my baby.

Happy Thursday friends..

Love to you all

This Warrior Mama Lisa

No comments: