Sunday, August 24, 2014

As they say....

The day would unfold the way it should "for you"- For each individual family.  It can never be planned out perfectly. It never ever will roll out like you'd hoped, or expect.
You can try to imagine what it will be like, but trust me, you'll never know-

As we loaded the truck with all things packed into our living room, I knew she over packed clothes.
I most certainly knew that I had managed to supply her with all things "Kali"-
Her favorite shampoos, conditioners, soaps, toothpaste...
This also included the many cute decorations, and hand made little things I had ready. The bedding she had to have, and the pictures and pillows that matched her little style.

Her new bedding, and of course her super flat slobber stained pillow from her bed. Don't fret, it's clean.  It's just her favorite flat pillow.
Her scents from her room, would indeed follow her there.  I made sure of that.
As the three of us strolled down the freeway, I felt an ease of something.  I can't explain how I felt, but I just felt ready.
I had maybe slept 3 hours on Thursday night.  As a matter of fact, all week while Bill was at a trade show, I was lost.  I built up so much anxiety, that I had pressure in my chest.  Something I said to no one, just hid in my showers, bed, and front porch.  And true reality, I just wanted to -GET IT OVER WITH-
I wanted to start the process of getting her situated. I didn't want tearful goodbyes, I didn't want to see her cry.  I most certainly just wanted peace.  I felt no peace all week. Zilch.
As we arrived at the campus -we soon spot Gianni--- where the check in signs lead us to the place where they give their ID's and a much dreaded long wait for the dorm key.  The response from those critters was quite frustrating "Um your room isn't ready yet but we'll let you know before the end of the day"-  Um, say what?
To keep the story short, Bill and I enjoyed a sandwich and lunch they provided (super good by the way)- to soon head over to look for any and all moving devices-
I made my way to the front office to "say hello-LOL" and was able to get a master key, with a master person to head up and OPEN that shiz up.
Being the hero mom, I called her and said, head over....your room is open.
And "meet Dad and I in the parking lot, WE FOUND AN ORANGE TOTE- These things were like finding gold. Little miracle after little miracle was happening.  I kept telling myself each time that popular lump in my throat would creep up.  These are the sweet things that are making this day beautiful. It's these little things Lisa...
After opening up the door, she soon started scheming a different lay out.  Where she wants her bed, and how she wants her desk.  During this process we knew that I will be back.  The dorm lights, more pictures and things I made to hang up, the extra closet storage Bill is taking back, the bed risers that didn't quite fit, but Dad is making some to work.  The corners of her bed that already gouged her leg will soon be fixed by her Dad's pad that he will make.  We all got to work.  With the loving hands of all, we managed to work up until they made us leave.  Gianni helped unload, carry, pack, set up, hang up, and discard.  We were quite the team.  All along, I kept thinking, this is a beautiful day. 
We still have lots to go with little decorations.  I needed to see the scheme of it all.  I needed to get my feet wet with it all.
After putting up as much as we could, without hanging her little dorm lights, pictures I brought....we ran up to Ralphs to fill her little fridge and stock her up with yummy's.  This view as you walk out of Ralph's. Her school.  The area is so beautiful.
 First phase of her dorm.  Bill is headed back next week to hang a "black out" curtain, and taking her a closet for extra clothes storage.  I'm headed back to finish decorating.
 They had a beautiful bbq for the families as they start the transition to get us out of there.  As they start announcing on the speakers, you can see the flurry of parents headed back up to the dorm for one last quick hug, and one last look over.  We did so well, all day. I hugged her quickly, tight and DID NOT cry.  I told her for the millionth time that my pride in her will never fade.  That some people never get this opportunity, and some people that do, never take advantage of it, because they aren't ready or willing.  Her strength, and her knowledge to make this leap will forever keep my soul at peace. I wore no makeup, hair in a braid, walked on out of there like a zombie. I held it together until the elevator.  And only there did I let those tears fall just past my sunglasses.  Bill put his arm around my shoulders and did his famous whisper "Honey, she's fine, you did great, this is a great place and she is amazing"-
I know it's a great place. I know she's only 100 miles.  The elements of our chapters changed a little.  The nights will be different, and the mornings will indeed be way different.  We spent Saturday morning on the sand.  I went for a long walk.  Reflecting.  Praying.  Exhaling.  Soon we'd start making our errands and life busy.  As we always do. Smiling at eachother every so often as a reminder "She's fine" -  This is good, and she will move mountains.

 It wasn't until Saturday night when I received a text that read "Mom, this is so hard"-
 Kali, I can only imagine.  I miss her at home, and it's only been 2 days.  I miss the many moments we share laughing.  Sunday morning the same type of text.  I just miss waking up in my bed, in my home.
I grabbed my ipad and taught myself very quickly what "FACE TIME" is.  So we laid in our beds miles apart, morning hair, crusty eyes, and we chatted.  She walked her classes yesterday to prepare for Monday's first day.  Our Sunday has been filled with boating, sunshine, yummy breakfast burrito's.  And this little dude.

I have tons of pictures.  I figure this is a slice.

Our life will begin to iron out.  Her life will begin to take shape.  Her new friends will get to know her, and boy are they lucky.  Her professors will get the chance to meet an amazing girl.
The mountainsides of San Marcos will bless Kali's eyes when she might want to cry.  The road isn't far, and this Mama will be back.

I will do what it takes to make her heart feel full.  There is no sense of "ripping that bandaid" around these parts.  Life is too short to make one suffer for the sake of others.

Friday was a beautiful day.

It was a day of change.
It was a day of strength.
It was a day of love, and pure faith.

I never ever imagined that our day would come so fast to open this new chapter book.

Whatever her career path leads to, I just know......she will pave the way, just the way it's suppose to be.

As I finish this post before Kris comes over to bbq some of his freshly caught fish, I just received a text from Kali.  A shuttle over to Target with some of the girls was a blast.  She finished buying her school supplies and a few other things she is stoked on.

I hope those that catch this post today enjoy the rest of this beautiful warm Sunday.

Get out and live.  Life is hauling ass.  And if you don't grab it by the tail, it will slip away.

As they say "We only get one shot"-

Big love, and super high fives to you Kali!  And Gianni, to you too....this has been an uphill mountain that's for sure!

xoxo

Leese

No comments: