Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Twenty Three Our Baby Bird...Happy Birthday Kali.....

23 years ago at 5:45pm after a very quick, natural and amazing birth I was staring down at a massive amount of black hair.  Hair so wild my own soft caress of mama hands couldn't lay it down.  
Cried like a baby bird for weeks and months.

I did too.


Only a cheap blow dryer on a low setting would ease her little big cries.  And that blow dryer would be on the swing tucked in the farthest corner of the house so we could eat dinner.  LOL!

I'd carry her around in my little sling whenever I could during those first few months.

They said it was colic.  They said it was MY consumption of dairy.  They said it would go away. 

It did. 

I stared across from her over the weekend at a dinner table catching eyes of laughter over certain things and all I could think of is my pride in raising her. 

She's got what it takes to make this world a better place.

I can remember staring deep into her eyes at a few weeks old pondering my worth to her.
Did she feel the love I was trying to show.
Did she see my exhaustion.
Did she know I'd fight like hell for the rest of my days to keep her safe.
Did she know I would love harder during the teen years to teach her lessons.
To protect her.

Those beginning weeks were brutal. And yet you have no idea what evolves with a daughter.
Never wanting to feel like a best friend, because motherhood is more than that. It's teaching lessons. It's saying no to things I wanted to say yes to. It's holding curfews.  It's showing up at all the events  *egh um, school xmas programs shoot me in the foot lol. 
It's having my helium arm and raising that arm to volunteer at every single team she played on.
It's showing up to soccer fields when fog rolled across on those early Saturday mornings because she wanted to be there first.
(my punctual patty)
It's putting my hand on her little leg in those parking lots giving her pep talks that she'd do just fine, to have her, at times, move my hand.  (because moms don't really know everything, riiiigght?)

I still can't believe she is twenty three.

It seems like yesterday she was turning 5.
Then sixteen.


5 years. Got that honey badger smile from her mama on fleek.
I know its a picture of a picture, that's just how I roll, but can we just look at those legs.
Bruised knees, sprinkled with a little le'blood.
My tomboy at heart, with dreams to be treated like a princess.

I get you girl.
I get you.


Happy Birthday my little Gemini. 



My fierce spirited, strong willed, super intelligent daughter. 

I hope I am lucky enough to watch so many more chapters. 

Keep doing what works for you.  What works for your little tribe.  Mozy included. ha!

Stay loyal to yourself, and to those you love.

Never ever look back.

Ha!!


Each sunrise and each sunset count your blessings...(shout out to Grant, thee most amazing dude, you guys make a great team, that's for sure)






Happy Birthday Kee!  Beep!

I'm so lucky to stare across the room at you now and smile with acknowledgement.

Motherhood.

My love is deeper than you might know.

Well, until you have a daughter of your own.

This Mama Lisa

I dedicated this song to her at Kindergarten Graduation...still rings true..


No comments: