Thursday, May 2, 2019

Nineteen Eighty Three

The year of embarrassment because of the truck my dad drove.
A 1960 something super ugly Ford. 
Every fender a different color.
Camper shell that definitely did not match any part of that truck.
The Lisa in me never wanted to hurt his feelings as he pulled up to my school so I would wait until the last minute to say "Dad, you can just drop me right here"
Most kids in that neighborhood were dropped off in a Mercedes, wearing Izod Lacoste. LOL!
Every time I sell a bedcover for one of those trucks I laugh so hard inside.
Little did I know it would be a collectible one day.

I think it made me a better person.

No flat irons in sight as you can see, but I wanted to rock a ribbon like it was my business.

Mascara was not an option as we weren't allowed to wear make-up, so coming home one day with pink eye often made my dad suspect I was putting "eye junk" on at school.

He was right.

I had pink eye more than any girl I ever knew.






The age where you danced at middle school dances to Journey holding your arms over the nape of 
your crush as he held on to your hips.  That feeling when the light dimmed and the music started was just over-the-top at this age.  #hormones.


I look at this picture and think back to the strong but silly parts of me.  Always a joker, but mostly the spicy one that tried to keep our family in check.  

Appreciating my moms meals and dinner all together and praying that each night would allow a drink-less night from our dad.  #crazymike.

I was the one that would shut the whole panel off (power) in our homestead, - because crazy Mike would blast his stereo and play his guitar until late hours of the evening on a school night.
None of us wanted to approach the beast, so I just flipped off the circuit. LOL!  But NOT LOL at the time. I can remember plopping back down on my bed just waiting for him to waltz on down into our room. 

My bestfriend Catherine had a normal home in Downey, so I would make all possible arrangements to stay there all weekend. 

Middle school.

A teenager.

Didn't know what was in front of her at the tender age of 13.

She wasn't into TV, or being inside.

Was really into kids and babies.

Nineteen Eighty Three-ish.


How bout' them beads. 


And I know you wish you had those spiral earrings.

Don't get started on those bangs.

This Mama Lisa


No comments: