Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Those First Days.

It's interesting to reflect back on the words of encouragement and praise to our kids. The words us moms/dads use while they're navigating a new idea or job.  

Most especially Kali.  My youngest, most tenacious bird. Not that Kris isn't, because his grand ideas and intelligence run deep. Very deep.  
He is currently falling asleep listening to The Old Testament. 
Because he wants to know. 
And you better believe he'll know more than I ever will, because he dives in. 800 feet deep.


There's my guilt of not pushing him through a Trade School and/or college. (sadly this was pre-Maria Herring)  Instead he was shotgun to me as the best salesman we had.  
Years lost, yet not forgotten. I still lean on him when a customer starts tossin' me classic car lingo. 
His heart is full of gold, and his brain full of so much wisdom.  He's been that way since a wee toddler. 

Kali on the other hand is a go-getter. She's the one I pushed the most.  In sports. In "signing up for things"---Activities I was never encouraged to try as a young girl. Hence the reason I didn't know much better to push Kris.  
I take that back.  I DID try to get Kris involved in sports. (*Flashback to him rubbing his legs on the soccer field that they were falling off, and also the winner of catching the most butterflies out there during a game)

Kali--- The one that over thinks and over dwells*her mama's daughter*.  The twist of perfection to get it just right. 
Something I am incredibly proud she does.

She's also the one that will not let me help with day-to-day happenings, like her 12th Street Sweeping ticket.  Doctors appointments she makes and attends without mama.  

Different lifestyles. Different kids.  Different paths. Different books, completely.

She's landed herself a big girl job in a big girl -corporateschmorprate-as-her-mom-says, position.

Yesterday morning donning her most prestigious outfit.  That beautiful smile to show the world just what grind she has to offer.  

I shot off a text at 6:00am on Mondeeee mornin'- "Go get after it Kali, you make me so proud"

Knowing full well, she'll make and take what she's capable of and handle it.

This position can't be taught, it'll be expressed through experience. And just like the rest of her tasks, she'll figure it out just like riding a bike.  

And yet, there's always the fear of falling off.  But she'll get back on, and continue on.
Just like all of us. 




Nice analogy from Seth--

Like riding a bike

People talk about bike riding when they want to remind us that some things, once learned, are not forgotten.
What they don’t mention is how we learned. No one learns to ride a bike from a book, or even a video.
You learn by doing it.
Actually, by not doing it. You learn by doing it wrong, by falling off, by getting back on, by doing it again.
PS this approach works for lots of things, not just bikes. Most things, in fact.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you made it gracefully through Monday, and now Tuesday. 
Or as the kids and I say....Tuesdeeeeee
PS:  You go Kali!  



Your parents want new pooka shell necklaces----
Plus, aren't you so grateful I put braces on your beautiful grill?
Boom!
Go have some tacos!  And maybe just maybe a marg-


Mama Lisa






No comments: