Friday, March 13, 2015

In Her Own Strength.



Susie.

My Aunt in the black visor.  Blue shirt.

She taught me to drive.

She let me drive her little Chevy Chevette, stick shift, on the freeway. 605, to the 210, exit Azusa to pick up Evelyn.  I was thirteen. 13+stick shift = awesome aunt.  Crazy shit I know, we both laugh about it now.  Thanks Susie, you little rockstar aunt, you.

She taught me how to hold and  handle little babies. Yes, Michael and Dominic, I CHANGED your poopy pants. boom.

I've watched her smile and get through storms while gently wiping away tears.

She's mediated some of us through typical family bullshit.  If your family is perfect, lucky you. We aren't.

She's the one that puts that said bullshit aside, and just makes us all come together.

She's the aunt that taught me to make baked chicken with white wine, and fresh rosemary.  yum.

She always trusted us, and gave encouraging words to all of her nieces.

She would blow dry her hair like a pro, flipping and clipping til it was just right. 

If I remember correctly it was her home that I started noticing little words of love and encouragement. 

She's put together flower arrangements for almost every single family member and almost any event we've planned.

Her heart goes into her work. 

She's loved others when she probably felt like she couldn't anymore.

She'll drive 300 miles to pick up her granddaughter, because she's rad like that. 

I'm quite sure at times the pavement below her feet felt hard, and full of gravel. But she kept going.

She's been a rock in our family for many years.

She's opened her home to us for any and every gathering.  

She's preached to all of us about running. How good it feels.  How inspired she became after joining a group in her city.

My Grandfather, my Mom and both of my Aunts (Susie and Nettie-holla) are true runners. It's in their genes, and flows through their blood.

Susie is running the Los Angeles Marathon this Sunday!  I can't think of any other chosen words to describe this, other than BAD A.S.S.  No, seriously, BAD ASS-


Susie, you make all of us proud.

You have moved mountains, and will shove that pavement out of the way on Sunday.

Round of applause for Susie!  LA MARATHON YOU BETTER BE READY FOR HER!

Go get em.

We love you. 

I love you.

This Niece Lisa

And while we all enjoy this beautiful Friday, and Friday night.....Saturday and Saturday night....think of her as you sip your wine, cocktail, water, juice, soda or beer.  Because I am sure she's stretching her muscles....boom-

Boom shaka laka laka!!

No comments: