Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Halloween is a little different each year.....

Looking back on the days of rushing home to get Kali dressed in her costume, and reminding Kris to be safe as he strolled the streets dressed in some crazy outfit to scare kids....arriving at Harvest Festival at Kali's elementary Christian School...excited to see her friends and what they wore. Who they pretended to be for the day....
This year I was told by Kali..."Mom, I'm excited to hand candy out and just stay home". She had tons of homework, a room to tidy..and just an exhausted body from a full weekend of soccer...and the typical Monday. I was soo excited to know we'd all be in. I made my traditional Chili Hot Dogs, with all the condiments...added sides, like chips and salsa...and fruit...just a quick little gathering of my little family...with my sister, and brother in-law. Kris and Kendall too...
My pumpkin.....I tend to change things up a little. Hallowed out for a bigger candle topped with "pretties".....lol
Kali's original pumpkin....it's suppose to have an owl on the top of these vines...she ran out of time....next year.

Yes, "Bucks" was a HOT Dog. lol! He didn't like it. Don't know why. LOL!
I've NEVER been big on scary things during Halloween. I love the pumpkins...the cornucopia's...the cute costumes..the time to gather...the orange and black. Well....my brother in law brought these two scary costumes for the "Girls" to scare kids that approached our porch. I stayed in the kitchen during the first few. I didn't like it. My sister was cracking up. Soon, I told Kali...only kids older then 10. The little ones need to see smiles....and "Happy Halloween"!....eek. I don't likey scary!!
This is what Halloween means to me. Every smile. Every costume. Priceless. So sweet.
Teen girls. Up to NO GOOD! lol
My little porch.

The girls soon gave up on the candy part, asking the guys if they could ride their "Mopeds"- Kris agreed, I finally agreed...(after my glass of wine settled in...) After all they'd go around the block slowly....it's Halloween, they'd have to go slow....hoping these little memories stagger in them for many years to come. They actually went around the block a few times...they came back with ear to ear grins....
We heard of a few Haunted Houses in our neighborhood. So I offered to drive over. All in our blocks worth of houses. Scary. Funny. Fun. Look at Bucks in the back. He couldn't figure this whole thing out. My sister, Bucks and I sat in the car as the girls shuffled in and out of these scary places....

Family. Halloween 2011- Til' next year....Halloween night marks a cute night for us. My sister went into labor 16 years ago. I showered that night, headed over to scoop her up for the ride to the hospital. I was 3 months pregnant with Kali...Tina was overwhelmed with pain. The pain that wouldn't subside until noon the next day November 1, 1995. We didn't know what she was having. I suspected a boy. In fact until her whole body came out...I was for sure convinced she was a boy. And Miss. Tori Lynn Edwards came into the world. She's my other daughter. I will always be her rock. Happy Birthday Tori. Sweet 16....More on this milestone later......

No comments: