Monday, November 3, 2014

Are you prepared?

For some reason I have had this little itch of worry about "Disaster" as of late.

In this day and age of social and general media, we seem to get updated, for anything and everything.  Even things we really can care less about.  #selfies.  ha.

One thing I would always remind my little's when they were little, was "the plan" in the event of a disaster.

The game plan for us, was who to call-  Now it's texting (an out of state family member)- and most importantly what to do.

We knew where to meet, and how to get there, type of thing. I think most importantly was the fact that we discussed it.  We made little plans over dinner.  We'd randomly talk about them again during our car rides to school. It was basically just their Mama hosting little meetings into their ears as I drove, and they listened. Ha.


However, lately...and I don't know why- I have become concerned about disaster.  Earthquakes, fire and the ever growing fear of terrorists.  Our family is spread in different areas now. I should let most of the worry go, I know.  But keeping it real, it's still something that needs a plan.  
The more prepared we are, the better.  Not that we can control some of the dangers.  It's just being prepared for the ones that we might be able to help one another.  Most importantly our kids, pets, and family members.

Here's a few tips for your family:

Emergency Planning

Keep in mind while the kids were in school...one in high school, and the other in elementary....I had a meeting spot for both.  Close by their schools.  I told them to get there. Some way, and some how I would get there to that meeting spot we spoke of.  If it wasn't me, it would be a family or trusted friend member with our "code" word.  More on our code words later.  I also knew that having them leave the premises would most likely screw things up, but I also couldn't trust the system either.  So there. ha. 

Many times I have laid there awake with fears of a Tsunami.  The alert systems are put in place, but have we been properly trained to hear them?
Most importantly we've registered with the County of Orange for cell phone alerts.
A few test texts' have proven their worth.
Live in the coastal Orange County area?  Register your number.  Trust me-

Register this way...

Let's start our Fall Season off with some planning, ok folks? It's all about being prepared, players.

The better we are equipped, the better our lives might be in case of a true disaster.

Our babies, kids, pets, and elderly will turn to us.

Happy Monday you little lovers.

Guess what we did all weekend?

Nada.  Darn camera hasn't been out of hiding for 3 weeks now. 

Well, we paddleboarded.  Had dinner with Gaylord. Lunch at Jan's in HB.  Dinner at Sunset Pasta.  And pretty much held a couch down again.  It's all about food, and being in the lazy mood, duh.

What. is. wrong. with. us??

Go get after it kids.  Don't be lazy like us-

Be smart. Play safe.  And go make a plan with your fam bam.

I'm sure you'll be happy you did.


Cheers *clink*

Lisa

ps.  Code words: When K & K were young, we came up with "code words" to be used in situations that required our immediate return, or a pick up if they weren't comfortable. Nowadays, the kids have cell phones.  Even though they exist, what doesn't ever go away is the chance that your kiddo will be somewhere i.e. sleepover, play dates, etc and NOT be comfortable.  This could be for various reasons, but reasons I would never ever question.  Kali never wanted to spend the night places.  In fact, she'd go to slumber parties and ask that I make arrangements to come back by 9-
Creepers, and scary folks do exist in this big world, so it's just our choice to make our kids understand that their body is theirs, and their safety is ours to protect. 

Example:
Code words for us were : Jake the snake - for Kris-  Abbie girl- for Kali.

Better safe than sorry. 

And trust me, kids won't jerk your chain, just to jerk your chain.  Life gets real, fast- Listen to your gut and listen to your kids- You will never be sorry.  







No comments: