Wednesday, December 28, 2011

December Twenty Fifth........

Christmas Eve is spent at my Grandma's. It's our traditional gathering....Tamales, rice, beans and a yummy salad. And topped with, of course, GOOD wine and champagne. We gather to laugh, share memories...and exchange gifts. While sitting outside on my Grandma's cozy patio, with temp's at 72 degrees, the girls played with Cameron, and "Shadow". This cat kind of "adopted" my Grandma. He simply showed up...and never left. That sort of things happen to cat people. This guy will let you put anything on him. He loves dogs. He loves people. He was soaking in the kids' love. So sweet.

We sat outside, while our Grandma/Mom stayed inside. She's never been the sun girl. She has beautiful skin at 80. Hmmmm...that's why....This very house, is the ONE thing in my life that has NEVER changed. I know I've stated it before...but I LOVE walking in. The aroma of her house. Her kitchen. Her bedroom. Speaking to me with "Welcome"....back to your childhood.
Bill's side. We gather on Christmas Day. Shirley surrounded by her babies.
Picture out of order. Cousins. 2 Generations. Little Cam.
I always like to look back at pictures. My little living room. Stuffed to the brim with gifts, love, cards, everything Christmas. Watching it all just morph to trash...and into rooms...another year. Another set of memories....
I especially love to receive Christmas cards. It's my little treat every year. To me it's more simple than opening an elaborate gift...in front of the giver. It's the quiet in your house. Smiling at the new picture of our new cousin dressed in Santa....or the year of memories put on cards...The changing of kids' outfits and styles...The perfect spot each family chose to "Snap their shots".... I love them. I love Christmas cards.

Kali loves the WOW factor in the morning. Santa puts his gifts out...under the tree, and all through the living room. Her favorite thing? Walking into the living room in the morning...with new wrap...gifts everywhere...and stockings filled to the brim. If that makes her smile....it certainly makes us smile. This year Bill and I talked of NOT exchanging gifts. We want to escape town in a month or so....head to Santa Barbara....maybe go wine tasting, bask in the sun, and relax..alone. BUT he of course skipped the rule and did fill my stocking...and buy some really cute things for Mama. Kris received a new needed mattress...Kali of course lots of clothes...accessories and just "things". I try to never over do it on Christmas. It becomes a spectacle of who get's what. Living simple. Giving simple. Remembering the unfortunate children who have been brought to this world without the chances our children get. It might be hard on Kali. It might be hard on Kris. But as I stated before. December 26th comes. It's another year. The rooms are full of "things". They are alive. Healthy. They have parents. It's all gonna be alright.

After opening presents, and Mama making my traditional "Biscuits & Gravy" huge breakfast...and the traditional CLEAN-UP! Kris & Bucks packed up to visit his girl in the valley for the night...I put on my coziest of clothes, grabbed my flip-flops and told Kali and Bill...we are headed to the ocean. Where the calm keeps flowing..."let's go"- And so we did. Kali opted to stay in bed and watch TV, until we had to leave for our next family dinner....The beach was 70 degrees. With a view to Catalina...and Newport...across to Palos Verde.
This seagull wanted our pecans. He waited patiently.
I thought this guy was so handsome. Merry Christmas....
This sweet girl was catching what waves she could. All of maybe 12. Out there with her Daddy. Following on his golf cart, while their little dog chased a ball. Simple. Beautiful. Peaceful. Just where I wanted to be. Hope the rest of the year serves all of you well. Happy New Year. Hope you share these next few days with those you love. Head to the beach while the sun is out people. Trust me. The tide has been at it's lowest. It brings you nice walks on the beach...in the very watering wet sand....Cheers! It's almost 2012! I'm curious on my New Years plans. Something different. Something....beautiful. Stay tuned.

No comments: