Friday, December 2, 2016

LOVE In My Heart

It sure feels strange to say week before last...but...Week before last, Bill and I had our calendar days crossed off like little kids.  Actually it came down to hours, and soon minutes.  I approached him at the busiest time of his day standing out in production with the simple, yet so complex words..."Why leave Saturday when we can leave Friday honey"- The blank stare became a smile. The smile became a plan. For both of us it includes lots and lots of quick planning. (Bill is a worker bee and will work and work and work until pulled away ) I had been cleaning my desk all week. As a matter of fact I kept catching myself losing it over stupid little things because I really really just wanted to get away.  I needed a vacation.  I needed to depart from all life's bs.  Not anything in particular because I can't count on two hands of all our tasks, worry, plans, organizing. Life is life, right?  I kept trying to remind myself..Lisa, so many people have life so much harder than you. Slow down. You'll get away.  blah blah blah.  But the minute my desk was completely cleared.  And trust me, I shuffle lots of shiz (paper and bills). Friday at close to noon I said...."See you at home"- Let's get on the road before traffic.....

And that we did.  The picture above is of the next day. Saturday morning after working out, eating healthy, and loading up our tiniest ice-chest, we jetted across the lake in search of our favorite burger.
No more burgers until springtime we were told.  But no sweat off our backs.  Or should I say..."sweatshirts" -Tis' was a freezing day....so we'd order...Long Island Iced Tea's.  Something I knew deep down, it surely would bite later, but so worth the sillies at the bar at the time.  Before you know it, back down the lake we'd go. Me tucked into the cabin because I'm a sissy and can't deal with the winds, sleet and snow. jk.  Just wind.

Sunday morning I decided a home made meal would be in order and a night tucked away in our slice of paradise would be mama's best choice. I made this lasagna.  Tried a different version with panko bread crumbs.  Won't do that again. Dried it out.  It's all about cheese people.  There can NEVER be too much cheese.
And when you toss that dude in the oven and decide that sitting in silence watching the sun tuck away behind the clouds and mountains as you sip wine.  Sometimes staring at one another in amazement.  Staring at one another because we know how lucky we are. To be away.  To have our hearts begin to fill with love instead of unfamiliar territory of confusion and fear mixed with pain from last year.  I told you all how much I pray.  I try to remember to give my gratitude most especially during these moments.

All these pictures taken with my little ol' dorky HTC flip phone...er um I mean smart phone.  Without all the fancy apps.  One thing I also did was detach myself from texting my homegirls and family abroad. I just really let things go.  I get even more lapse in replies when all my birdies are under one roof.  Good luck getting ahold of this mama bird.  Your best bet is to call Bill. Because nothing else matters.  jk.

I knew Kris would bring out the big guns (camera), and so my days were numbered before I'd leave these beautiful shots to him.  I've always said the best sunsets are fall and winter at the lake.
On Wednesday before Thanksgiving I do a traditional meal.  It all started with my littlest birdie requesting this because on our actual Thanksgiving we eat at a bar as she used to say.  That is true.  We dine along side fellow boat lovin', floating dive bar folks that love good music, water flowing by as you mingle with your friends old and new. Hugging your family closer, sneakin' in some kisses.  Never ever taking the moment for granted there at Foxes on the river.  I hope we're lucky enough to sit there on those picnic benches eating gosh knows what from that pot luck...but we're there.  I'm always in search of a good drink, cream cheese stuffed jalapeno's, and pop corn.  This time I was lucky enough to get the first item along with a stash of goulash I managed to pick through inside.  There's something about a pot luck line.  And those spoons.  And where did the food come from. But lets not think of that part.  Let's think of the good loud band that played right up until the food was served.  Lets think about the many smiles and bouts of laughter we'd banter out.
And lets FOR SHO think about those boats making their sun down passes.  Showin'us what they're made of.  We ALWAYS want to know what they're made of.

My miracle birdie. My everything.  This picture sums up so much...for me. For us.  Forever.
My Aunt Ronda, my uncle Wade, hugging on my dude.  On Thanksgiving Day 2016! On a bar.  On the river.

Ohhh heyyyyyy


Give it to me baby....
My blonde baby birdie....and Bucksie! Thanksgiving Day 2016
Hey cutie, can I have your eyebrows? K, thanks.
And if you wonder what we did on Friday morning after Jeff and Renee treated us to breakfast at our most favorite spot (so disappointed we didn't get our second annual picture...booo) We hopped in Seans Burban and make the trek down a 50 miles--jk--like 7 mile DIRT road to Desert Bar.  A place where you most definitely will catch a good drink.  A great band. And lots of dirt in your ears and cute boots. But who cares right? Especially after a few brews. It's like what light brown hair that was once black. And those black boots, well...get some elbow grease out.  Funnest, longest day for us in a LONG time!  Thanks Sean and Lorie for supporting all 45 of us. You rock. No, seriously, you really do.  Even though you scared the shit out of all of us on that first qualifier moment in that one turn where we are lucky OUR tire didn't blow. But....I mean, it's all good, right?  Sorry Jeff and Renee, I swear we never get that rowdy.  Silly us. 
Desert Bar 2016
On Saturday morning  Jeff and Renee decided to hit the road. Probably the best choice because I stayed in cozies all day. Bill and the kids went to the races.  Bill came home (to hang with mama and sulk that our days away were coming to an end) the kids stayed with my cousins where they rode in fast off road cars, shot guns, and drank drinks.  Totally safe I swear. The picture below was about the time I started blowing their phones up.  From Kris to Kali, to Kali to Kris..one to Jen. No answer. Voicemails, texting with no replies.  Finally my cousin called back to say..."hey leese I noticed Kris' phone is here on the counter and they're out off-roading....and shootin' guns"  alrighty then. LOL- My saving Grace, was praying and knowing that Kris is sober, and nothin' better than knowing our kids are pretty wise fellers.
Not a bad view as I stalked those stinkers down though, right?
Especially with this little fur babe.
One of the things I noticed this Thanksgiving holiday was our desire to just take in the moments.  It's so crazy how fast the hours and minutes buzz by when you're soaking up days away.  Away from life.  I say away from life because I totally act like nothing challenging exists there.  I notice Jen unpacking her bags, especially her famous Sangria with a pep in her step and bigger smile on her cheeks. I notice Kali is more apt to curl up closer and longer to me on the couch or in our bed.  I notice Kris snapping moments in that camera he carries a tad more steady these days because his hands are not shaking like they did 6 months ago.  I notice Jeff and Renee (Jen's parents) are settling in to our routine just like family.  We've all built a fort of love together.  Sipping coffee together in jammies, as the morning slips by.  Blended as though it's all meant to be.
And so I soak up the love around me.  I hug the friends we made years ago.  Staring across the room, or restaurant in amazement of the growth in friendships.  What they mean now, versus what they meant 5 years ago.  Watching our kids grow. And heal. And learn.  And evolve. 
As a matter of fact as we bobbled down that bumpy dirt road on that Friday I was cracking up sitting next to Kali and Renee, looking ahead as Kris was scrunched on top Bill's lap holding onto that grip handle to keep himself off of his Dad's lap, meanwhile looking ahead at unknown territory because he'd never made that venture to Desert Bar.  Bucksie on my lap just going with the flow he knows all too well.  Wherever we go, he goes.  Trusting us humans as much as ever.  This suburban moving along like the Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland. Those moments you want to encapsulate because you just know it's the reason for gathering.  It was all meant to be.  All of it.  Sean, thanks again for driving. Lorie, thanks again for letting our party of 45 get in on your love parade--xo
We'd climb up high to look down like birds perched up high in a tree.  We couldn't ask for better weather.  The stars were lined up way too good.  
Especially for these birdies.  My cousin Jason has a pretty bad ass off road thing, and the girls couldn't get back into that thing fast enough.  As for me and my soul....I do gardening.  I do warm homes and cuddles. LOL

And just like these guns....as for me and my soul, I'll stay home.  Not that guns are a bad thing because trust me, I totally agree with my right to bear arms, I'm just better off in the safety of my warm home versus this desert road-side shooting oozies into the distance.  Get it girl Kali. Get. It.  
And never stop trying new things.
Live this life.
Keep pushing and living this life you've been given. 
Work HARD and player HARDER.
And shoot oozies. 
LOL

I stare at his eyes and think of pure happiness and amazement.  I think STRENGTH.  I think HAPPINESS.  I see his happy dimple. I see his journey.  I see his admiration for the great outdoors and his time with family.  Most especially shot gun (literally) to his beauty.  I'm not quite sure what I see in Jen's eyes here, well, actually I do... I see I'M HERE FOR THE COCKTAILS AND SHOTGUNS! hahahaha!
You see, she's staring at them gunzzzzzz  LOL
Well, and her little sis shootin the shit out of that thing.  

And if you think the flu bug was brewing in her at this point, IT WAS.  But the adrenaline flowing through her wicked little veins didn't flinch an inch. 

I mean what better way to prep for finals.  Shoot a gun.

In the desert. 

With her brother and her shot gun sis Jenny. 

And her cousins. 

And new friends.

Thanksgiving Two Thousand Sixteen, you were one hecka-va, hellava good time. 

Thank you Lord for blessing us yet once again with safe travels, good food, amazing shelter, happy moments and the GRACE you've allowed this last year.  

Because we aren't here for a long time, just a good time.  Can I get an AMEN?



A.M.E.N.
Along with my favorite holiday song and word...."Hallelujah"

To my mushy gushy lovers of music, please listen to my favorite Christmas song.
When you're out and about and hear it, think of me. 
It always stops me in my tracks and bears smiles and happy tears.
A few years back I was sitting in a Thai restaurant in Seal Beach and a lady was playing live music.
She began to sing this song.  To the perfect key, and pitch.  The whole entire place slowed to pure quiet amazement.  I started to cry and then laugh because Kali was so embarrassed.
To see the delight in peoples faces, meanwhile the respect shown to this woman as the entire place broke out in claps and happy tears, is what made my night. 
It was 5 days before Christmas.
I've always said the things that mean the most to me at Christmas time is good food, good wine, and moments and places with loved ones.  You add music, and you get pure perfection.
Please listen to the words.
Sit back and listen to KD Lang nail this song.
(if you're not into this type of thing, I get it..scroll on down baby, and enjoy your weekend)

You're welcome.

My love and best of weekend wishes to you....

I've got a raw nose, healing body, and chapped face to tend to. 


Happy December!  Happy Birthday (yesterday) to Trevor and little cousin Jio!



Peace be with you,

This Mama Lisa

No comments: