Thursday, December 8, 2016

Blending Ties Of Family

I was sitting behind the heads of our posse in that suburban bobbling down that dirt road headed out on our adventure... in the middle of the desert and somehow Renee and I got on the discussion of how we all blended.  How the first days of getting to know Jen seemed so foggy to me.  I do remember the first time we'd sit close to her was at our annual boat parade gathering.  We invited Jen's "parents",  and soon they'd make their presence.  I can perfectly remember Jeff (her daddy) walking through the door with a bottle of wine in hand, and the biggest most friendliest smile.  I remember the smile on Renee's face as though, oh shit..what did we get ourselves into.  You see, the wine was flowin' and my friends were in full force.  We had a house packed and the majority had a drink in their hand.  I can remember vaguely talking to Jen, and most importantly I can remember talking ever so slightly with both Jeff and Renee.  
As we bobbled down the road I began to share with her how I am amazed at how going through a journey of this sort creates a whole different dynamic of love, family ties, and friendship.  It wasn't until this last summer as we watched our son heal, and blend our families together seaside at a concert in the park.  One that both sets of parents danced in the grass, kicking up smidgets of grass, tossing smiles back and forth. 
I so perfectly remember thinking, and later saying to Bill, "this is so good, they are so good, I really like them honey".

They've always been so so kind to our son. ALWAYS.  I shared with her how we are so lucky to have blended as we have.  Not the most traditional way to blend in this journey of watching our dude fight, while their daughter fought right along side him. Funny how God works. 
We share the love of hard work, the love of animals, and the love of our kids.  We love wine, and we love laughter.  

Last year at Thanksgiving I put together those post card things for our video announcement of finding a donor.  I can remember making those posters the night before they arrived.  Keep in mind, I didn't really know them.  I thought, oh man, wonder what they'll think of this.  Of me.  Of us.  Our tradition of eating dock side at a bar on Thanksgiving Day.  This year rolled around and I was pleased to hear "Jeff-Man (as Kris calls him & Renee are coming Mama"- )
Instantly I thought, wow.  We didn't scare them off.  And as we made our way down that dirt road bouncing side to side as I watched the back of Jeff and Jenn sitting next to one another, daddy and daughter, with us as a family blending so much together. It made my heart so full.  

I hope what I was explaining to Renee came across as a statement of blessing. 

How lucky we are to have found eachother during such a mess.  They always giving him love.  I do the same for Jen. I love her. I love them. 

We're lucky, so....so lucky to have blended the ties of our family. 

Cheers to another year as we watch our kids grow. Thrive. Work. Love. Learn. Heal. And figure out this big thing called LIFE.

Most of all, thank goodness we have them, and they have us to watch it all evolve.




This Mama Lisa

No comments: