Monday, August 19, 2013

Summer Bucket List Item. Check.

For my Son.
My Birthday boy Son.

I decided last minute, on this road trip.
One to allow memories in us forever.
And ever.

So what started out here...
With my birdies, and Big Bucks.....
Red Bull, and good tunes. 
Pavement, and good chats.  
 Silly Selfies.
 And sleeping beauties.

 Tons of this.
 Trillions of this.
 But the best part of the trip up?  Here.  Bravo Cheese Farm.  Do yourself a favor and stop there.  It's in Traver, CA.  Just off the 99. 
Don't know why, but probably the best Iced Tea I've ever had. Sorry Mom, and Sorry Tina.  Those mason jars are huge. And just so perfect.  Maybe they have the ice ratio just right.  Who knows, just bomb dot com. 
The cutest restaurant.

Whoever likes to feed chickens.....have at it.  I'm a little scurrrred. 

Seriously a cute place. 
 Had to skip the best part. 
Because we had more highway to cover.  And laughter to fill the car.  For some reason, the three of us were on a roll.  Good stuff kids, good stuff. 
To arrive here.  We arrived close to 9pm.  My Dad called us every few hours.
I could feel the anticipation....between all of us.  Excitement filled the air.
Staying up until close to 2am for Kris, and a little after midnight for me. 

 Falling asleep to the sound of the forest singing to Kali and I.  Laying in my old bed.  Whispering to eachother.  Reminiscing about my childhood to Kali.  Laughing so hard other moments I'd wipe tears from my eyes. (Grapes on their porch....swoooon...)
Soon, we awoke to the aroma of bacon, and of course...."My Mom's famous breakfast"-
That woman can cook.....and to see organic items fill their fridge just makes my heart smile. 
This dude spent his birthday morning wandering their farm and garden area...with the biggest smile a man can shed. 
 Fresh fruit.

Baby frogs. 

"Bella" their sweet dog.  (busted for dipping in the deer's watering hole...ha) 

 Soon it was time to hit the road for some good ol' wine tasting....


The weather was perfect on the outside...and even better down in the cave.  
 Well, at least I thought so.
My boy is still trying to find the enjoyment of wine tasting. 
 It can be a little "awk", I know.
 Especially when our driver won't pose for any more pics.   Rude.

 A birthday lunch. 

A familiar watering hole.
One that I heard both K's express just how many memories they had here.  With Papa.  - Kali's..."omg, he let us swim here..."  Kris, "I found frogs here"....and me...."ew...omg, I remember coming here when you were little....yuck"- ha. 
We skipped some rocks....
 And soon we left...
Ever see a VW offroad? 
 Off to the next winery. 

 And more dirt roads.....
To my favorite winery up there....
There's something about a familiar place. 
 And let's face it.  Barrel tasting?  Yes.  Please. 


 Dogs that rule the Barrel room.  "Mystical".   She is 15. 
My parents are the "Turkey" whisperers.   no, seriously.  They are.  And deer, and racoons, and skunks, and squirrels....along with any other creature that makes their path through there. 
Dad's famous burgers.  After arriving home from wine tasting, we find this.
My Mom's famous beans, and perfectly cut up veggies...and this.  And this my friends, is pure bliss.
Just like you Dad. 

It was a quick trip. 
 It was filled with everything perfect.
 And peaceful.  This walnut tree and view from their property. 
On Sunday morning, after just a quick 48 hours, I walked the grounds with Kali.  Quietly.  And slow.
Taking it all in.  Talking myself out of the tears that I knew would soon follow.
I am not good with "goodbyes".  I know this isn't easy for anyone.  But it's extremely hard for me.  For us. 
 And so I made light of things.   And minutes, as they ticked by.  Those minutes that added quite a few butterflies to my tummy. 
 She made me smile over and over again.  Almost like she knew...."Every little thing is gonna be alright sister Lisa"
Because when you've been raised to be a good person.  A good soul.  A loving soul.  It will. 
 The weekend went too fast.  It was my idea to leave by ten.  I worried of my Monday day filled with all things work, school registration, laundry...and you all know the drill.
Soon, the moment came.  Where the chuckles, nervous chuckles that is...turned into solid tears. 

My Dad held me tight and weeped like no other. I did too.  My Mom smiled big for me.  With me.
She is proud of me.  She has taught me to be a good cook.  A serving soul.   My Dad has taught me more than any man that will walk this Earth.

I will be back.

The tears will flow often, because we miss eachother.

It's easy for people to wonder why....

Why don't they just make trips happen.

Fly down here, or fly up there.

Things are busy.  For me.
For them.

In this life.

I have these memories.
I have them, and their wonderful warm home.  Filled with more love than I will ever feel, anywhere else.

That I know for sure.

I love you Mom and Dad.
You are two amazing people.  That have walked down some pretty kickass scary rough roads.

But it's because of you.

It is.

This sign reads, TOO GOOD.    And that trip was too good.

Almost 900 miles round trip.

Worth every single lane I changed, and every single tree I passed.

Bucket List Summer of 2013-

And a big ol' Happy Birthday to Kris.


Boom.

ps.  To my friends that I didn't text back.  Sorry, not sorry.  I love you lots, just disconnected while I could.
To be with what means the most.
My unit.

No comments: