Thursday, June 6, 2013

The root of my tree.

You taught me about kindness.
You taught me about music.
You taught me to stand up for myself when the moment was meant to be.
You taught me the love for all animals, big and small.
You taught me how living simple is better.  Less can be more, because someone in this world always has less. And are happier.
You taught me about nature.  And loving this Earth.
To treat it well, and to be still while passing through the few nature moments we do get.
You taught me about patience, because I remember many times you lost yours in front of us.
You taught me to let things go, because holding on to resentment and anger hurts me more.
You taught me that bearing the toughest moments do create tough human beings.
Human beings that can filter what is right and what is wrong, while finding peace along the way.
It is possible.  Keeping excuses out of the way.
You taught me that whether you are near or far, you are there.  Always.
You are there for my kiddo's.  Especially my son.  Whom talks to you almost every single day.
I love that.
Boy did you give me wings.

Happy Birthday to you Dad.
There are so many times that I wish I could sweep you away and take you abroad.  Take you fishing in the big ol' Cabo waters.  (and not get sea sick)...Or send you and Mom off to Alaska on a cruise. 

I know you are happy at home with Mom.

You belong to me. And we belong to you.

And that is a very good feeling.  I am lucky.
I don't remember calling you Daddy.  It was always Dad.
I do remember kissing you goodnight. Every night.
Even the tough nights, when the music was full blast, and the nights were long. You kissed us goodnight.
I remember begging you to chase us through the house like a big monster.  And you would.
We were asked to "stand on your back"....because it hurt.
You worked hard.  Very very hard.  Hot summers, and cold winters.  You busted your ass for us.
And drank a little too much too.  But we forgive those days.  You bury sadness deep in your heart for that.
Daily.  I know that.  And for that I am sorry.  For you. 
Every time I look at this picture the guilt over rides me.  A visit must be planned again.  Picking up my sister and I from the airport for a lunch and tour around town.   That was simply, pure awesomeness.
You never hit us. I was spanked only a few times.  Probably deserved it.
You bought me flowers on my 12th birthday, and brought them home in your dump-truck.  A day I will never forget.
You caught me riding on the back of a motorcycle.  No helmet.  15. Restriction didn't do the justice you put on me with words.  I disappointed you.  I am sorry.
I messed around in High School, and had the best days, not the best grades.  I am sorry.


I am you.  I am my Mom.  But I am you.  To the core.

I love you.  Happy Birthday Dad-

May the days be peaceful.
And your garden grow tall.
That your days with Mom are sweet and long.
I will see you soon. I can promise you that, you fine feller.

Get your Weber ready.



T and I are coming for you two.

Love,

Baby numba two.
The one with your middle name. 
The one with freckles that you complimented often.
The one with your long toes, that love sand just as much as you.
The one with so much love in their soul.
Sent from your body to mine.

Thank you Dad.






5 comments:

Jazi said...

No way! Today is my mom's Birthday! How funny!

Peace and Love said...

Happy Birthday to your Mama.
Sweet Gemini's....
Stay cool sweet girl.
Havasu looks hot!

Jazi said...

Oh man it's hot! 117 today and 119 this weekend!

nichollehammond said...

I wanted to comment yesterday but I got all choked up and I still have to put on my cheerleader happy face at work. So....I forwarded this to Chad and wore my cheesy grin for a bit. Happy my kiddos have an awesome dad! So I get home last night and Chad has decided he is taking Savan to gymnastics...whaaa?! He wants a video of her back handspring to show his friends. And then..."Did Leese write that for her dad?" Yes babe.
You have a way with words that effects us all. Thank you sis! hugs.

Peace and Love said...

Thank goodness for him. And you.
Two great parents. Lucky little sweet kiddo's. These are the days...

Cheers, and peace to you. TGIF
Miss your sweet face Nik.
Cheerleader and all.
L