Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Getting ready to cross another bridge....


One can not prepare enough.  It seems like yesterday.  We were headed to the track to watch Kali race.  Age 8.  
When her hugs were such a bold statement. 

 Watch me.  
 Loved swimming.  Cold water.  Anywhere.  Anytime.
 When her life jacket was big enough to keep warm in. 
 When hugs weren't too embarrassing....
Apple picking with her Campfire Troop...just loving that time with Mom and Dad....
The cracked wrists due to soccer....




 When driving the boat was the biggest, coolest thing she did.....
 We are getting ready to cross the bridge into "Permit" mode.  
It's set.  A week before her 16th Birthday.  I sent a text today.  After I made the appointment....it read:
Kali...your DMV Appt. set May 17 at 8:30 am. Dad taking you driving this weekend. Be ready!  Kali's response :  OMG
This isn't my first rodeo.  We've been down this road before.  When Kris went down this road and crossed this bridge, I was a mess.  A terrible teacher.  Panic shown in all forms.  I sat in the back.  Bill in the front.  Me in the back. Holding onto things like I was on a roller coaster.  Bill getting mad at me.  I can't believe we are doing this again.  Except this time, Bill said..."I will teach her without you in the car".  Whatev.  I will be in the car. I am ready.  I am scared.  I am scared for her. I am scared she'll get lost out and about when the license lands in her hand. (yes, Kali is a ding-bat with directions, just like her Dad.  woops, did I say that?)  I am worried about California drivers. It ALL scares me.  Pray for my balance.  

Damn I'm scared.   I am not ready.  I should be. It's all part of the cycle.  I am not ready.   Where is my baby?  Where is the little girl that wanted me to "do her hair".  Sit on my lap to tickle her arms.  Spend all her free moments with us. 

Be ready Mom's and Dad's of these moments in life.  It's a wild ride.  Buckle up. 

No comments: