Friday, August 5, 2011

County fair...Corn dogs...and Cuddles.....

We finally made it the fair...After talking with Miss. Kali yesterday afternoon, she expressed she was exhausted and had no desire to watch BMX riders...and "You guys can go, I want to go later with my friends"- So I packed Bill and I up in a hurry and just like that we were on the road...Here's my favorite barn...with the vegetable stable to the side....I love the way my picture turned out....
And I caught the big ol' Ferris Wheel in the ever so interesting "Carni" section.....all I can say is wow.
One of the second things I love to see are the animals. Especially these Pygmy Goats. As a child we lived in Riverside...and were very lucky to have experienced Farm life. We lived on a few acres....It was awesome to say the least. We lived next to a man named "Al". Al owned every farm animal that is known. My sister and I had the chance to hang with cows, horses, goats, pigs, chickens and guinea hens...it was an experience that I can only describe to my kids. We would make hay tunnels for days...and throw cow paddies like they were pieces of cardboard....just silly good fun. We've witnessed the birth of all of the mentioned. It was awesome. I am so very thankful I was allowed that chance. Al took my sister and I to Auctions. We witnessed the purchase of various farm animals...being brought home for my sister and I to feed. We'd carry buckets of wild sweet oats, and bail hay for each with pitch forks...the aroma was amazing to me. Most important was the look of those animals eyes as we approached. So happy to see us with food. During these years in Riverside, some were good, some weren't so much...But my life has been structured around those years. I am who I am because of the many experiences..good and bad...The animals were a sanctuary for me. I believe for my sister too. We owned 2 goats which in turn birthed their very own "Twinkie". We called her that sweet name shortly after watching her come to this world. My sister owned a horse that was handed to her a bit wild for her to get on and "teach her". We rode, we were chased by roosters...we watched amazing sunsets from a river bed that is nothing like the ones we have here. When I go to the fair, and I smell these various farms, the aroma of cows and horses...the sounds of their being...take me right back there. I wish someday I live on a piece of property that would allow me to own a few of these animals again. Just to see baby piggies again...As I've always said, there is something about an animal and it's purpose. About what they give us. To me? They give me peace. And I live for that. The innocent sweetness they offer.
The whole reason to head to the fair on a Thursday evening was to catch the BMX riders. I've always loved watching these kids perform after months and months and years of practicing these stunts over and over and over again. Keeping clean, staying focused and being passionate for what they love to do.
Big Air. Big Ramps.
Awesome.
My other favorite place is the Garden area where people from Southern Cali get the chance to display their fruits. The hard work it was to grow these various vegetables and fruits...to sit proudly in a cute baskets with their name placard displayed so proudly. This Avocado was almost as big as a small melon. I love Guac!
This miniature set was a very small bail of moss, structured to look like a garden set out in a forest. Made very very small. So cute. It's the perfect place for Barbie to have a picnic. Oh the stories a child could make from this just staring at it....
Isn't this the truth.
Bill and I ate and grew alright...our bellies. This corn dog picture doesn't do the size justice. It was a gigantic one. So yummmmmy. Can you tell Bill and I love mustard?!
As we enter the grub area....Good ol' Chuck Wagon. Only in AMERICA!
This stand is adorable. For anyone that hasn't attended the fair yet...please stop here. The cupcakes are super super cute....
And TOTALLY FRIED ...That is for sure....
One word. Gross.
Bill wanted to try one.
Gross again. I have never been able to eat anything with too much batter fried. I get THEE worse tummy ache on Earth. As a kid I got sick (stomach flu) and the last thing I ate was a Klondike. I have never eaten one since. I seen this and just thought...ewwww.
And here's his fried twinkie. Looked yummy. I couldn't even take a bite-
Instance happiness. He looked like he enjoyed it....ALOT! lol
I'm crossing my fingers and toes to catch this show. Another fun memory with my parents...Our family loves the blues. And my parents would pack a picnic and take us to Cal State Long Beach and sit on the grass, before they had venues and promoters to jump in place...I was able to shake BB Kings hand through the fence...and he jammed like he does, while my parents danced...and watched. It has forever had an influence on my music preference. I will sit and watch live blues anywhere....anytime....add a good glass of wine in there? Even better. Keep Rockin Mr. King. You are a legend. Original.
And of course my Bad Company band's Paul Rogers already performed...I was able to shake his hand a few years back at Bad Company's concert. I was placed front row...danced and danced.....and he came down and shook my hand......LOVE LOVE Bad Company. As the song says.."Bad Company....til the day I die..."
Isn't this the truth in so many ways.....Happy Friday everyone. Work hard, play harder. Go out there and enjoy some good ol' sunshine. Be happy with those that make you happy. I certainly will.

No comments: