Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Passing On HOPE


I received a text yesterday from our friend Kerri.

Kerri and I met years ago in Cabo when we traveled there as a family with The Sicklers.

Sitting across the pool, bar and in restaurants several times throughout the week we were there. A new set of friends, if you will.  I really didn't know our paths would intertwine years later.  And not in a fun vacation type of way.

Kris would become sick, and I'd start frantically searching anyone and everyone that knew ANYTHING about Stem Cells.  Transplant. Donors. Swabs. You name it.

Kerri is a courier for Be The Match.  She transports Stemcells across the nation from giver to receiver.
That ice chest filled with LIFE.  Hope. Most of all, LOVE.

She texted me yesterday with news that her high school friend was newly diagnosed last week with the same leukemia I am so familiar with. ALL Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia.
Her sweet request to link us together (If I was willing).

Her name is Jenny. 



I spoke with Jenny last night on my way home from work.  She was just given the news that she'll need a transplant. She's currently in the hospital. 
She's of Asian decent and scared of the whole process in finding a match {who wouldn't be}. The process can be difficult for some ethnic backgrounds.  Not because of the ethnicity, but simply because the world is just becoming aware of just how important these blood drives, swabs, and registries are.  Some communities rally more than others.  Interesting how some people find a match within months, while others wait much longer. 


My heart and soul lost control a few times as we chatted, and we cried together.  Those first blurry days of poison running through your veins.  Not caring about your hair falling out, because hair doesn't matter when you have two young children and a husband that is rallying around the mess. 
Family scrambling to do the right thing.  She's 42.  
Stuck in a hospital while the world buzzes around her.  Her babies in need of mama.  A home that needs tending to.  All the things that cross a mothers mind, and yet this fucking cancer tackled her down. 
A simple "bladder infection and back ache" as what she thought.  A headache that wouldn't go away. 
The news.

The news you guys. 

She is in the fight.  Today, tomorrow and weeks and months ahead. 

She's in the new phase where everything creeps slow around you.  Docs make their rounds with their heads held low because they're trying to find out the answers they really aren't too sure of right now. They do know your body is compromised. Your counts.  Your bone marrow biopsy still hasn't shown all the proven facts to move forward with any of it.

And so you wait. 

I assured her that she's made a new friend in me.  I will rally around her, but in the distance.  I will make lists, and call those I know to make a difference.  Whether that would be City Of HOPE, or my little connections at the Matched Unrelated Donor office.

I offered my little tips about Magic Mouth Wash, special shampoo to ease the itchy head.  The suggestion of pickle juices to ease the metal mouth from chemo.  My ninja skills in cleaning a hospital room, and the tiny benefits of numbing her tummy area before she injects the Neuprogen shot to bring up her WBC when she gets home. 

My help behind the scenes to someone I don't even know will be fruitful. I will do something each day for her.  Even if its just prayer. 



If you pray, please pray for Jenny. If you toss Juju in the air, please toss some up high for Jenny.
If you can order a swab kit from BTM, please do.











I hope your week is going okay so far....We are nose to the ground focused.  Willing. Alive. And thankful for the body to allow it. 

Even when sleep is wacky, and our bodies are begging for more rest. 


We can do it. 

And so can you.



This Mama Lisa

No comments: