Thursday, October 9, 2014

On this day.

We celebrate you.  Pam.  My Mom.

I know you don't care for your birthday, but we rally around this day because it's imprinted in our hearts. Forever it will be.

A few things about you that maybe the world doesn't know, and should.

You have always been a runner.
Your legs show for that.  I'm jealous
You are the oldest of 8 children.
You married your middle school sweetheart.  Whom has always tried to be your sweetheart-Sometimes he'd land in the non-sweetheart land.  But that was usually caused by too many sips of brew.
You mastered bandana's around your neck like no one else.
And your love for visors always makes me think of you when I see one. 
You taught me to stay busy most all days, and especially if your spouse was around. 
Dad has a tattoo with a bee on it representing you.  You, the busy bee. 
You cook like a top notch chef.
Something about the way you stir gravy always caught my eyes sending them to a trance.
One of my fondest memories was your breakfasts'.  Even now when we visit, it's my highlight. 
You love all animals, and feed them well.
You are a quiet woman, yet when you explode, watch out.  (As I look in the mirror)
You taught me to change a room around often, and change things up.  I still try to. 
You are full Mexican, and speak not one stitch of Spanish.
You love Gardenias and anything light and sweet.
Your chocolate cake can win an award. 
The necklace you have on in this picture was found by my Dad on the beach in Seal Beach in the 70's.  You kept in on for years, and years and years.   I remember that evening like it was yesterday.
You parented way different than I parent, but we've both some how raised decent humans.
You tackled my high school days the best way you could.  I was a hand full.  Well, maybe two hand fulls.
I will never deny.
Even when I took your car for joy rides while you were in Cabo, and Dad busted me because the seat was too close, you just stayed quiet.  I would of kicked some ass.
Sometimes as I stood up for our entire family, you'd sit back and smile.
You never liked pink when we were young, yet now I see it suits you well.
You used to sit under the dryer for over an hour before any family gathering, and your hair was always lustrous and amazing. 
Your skin is absolutely amazing.
You have sent the kids some of the funnest gifts.
You have sent Kali the best antibacterial wipes for her fear of germs.
And you did that because of her panic.

You have served Dad like a king for as long as I can remember.
You remain strong when Dad weeps.  Dad cries easy these days, while you remain strong.
Usually just acting busy moving things around, because you become stressed with good-byes.  Or heartache.

Every. Single.Time I see this picture, tears fill my eyes with happiness.  And sadness. Don't know why.
I mean, just look at this.  Look at your arms around my girl. Look at Dad's face.  Kali feeling something she didn't even really understand at the moment.  All of it.  Thankful Mom, Thankful. 
You have a green thumb, and such a knack for all little creatures.  Like those little frogs you tend to in your water fall.

You praise me, and love me at all times. Although a week or so goes by, I know I cross your mind. 

Thank you for bringing me to this Earth.  Thank you for giving me the chance to be a Mom. And giving me life.
I know the path was often times filled with only gravel, but somehow you did it.  Even traveling down here to us "flat landers" while the girls graduated.  You did it for us.  We appreciate that. 

I've taken some of your traits of cooking, gardening, the love of animals, and peace with me.


On the other hand, when the shit hits the fan, and my mouth can't be closed, well, I blame your husband.

Happy Birthday Mom-

I certainly know you are happy on your mountain, but boy we sure miss the chances to pull in your driveway and put a cake in front of you with plenty of lit candles.

You make 35 look so good.

I love you.  We love you.

May you be extra spoiled tonight by Dad. Maybe his famous chili is on the stovetop-

Your littlest,

Lisa Lynn.

No comments: