Friday, September 12, 2014

And so the wheel turns.

The pages in this life are turning fast this summer.  And those pages that are turning fast, have shown us sadness.

The pages that were once filled with happiness, laughter, and peace have been recently highlighted.

With sadness-

We lost another friend this week.

As a child, I remember someone saying "it's crazy that loss and death come in three's"

When Shirley passed, I instantly had this nudge in my gut about what I heard years ago.

It scared the shit out of me, and I only told a few people.

After attending the funeral of Mike on Monday, you can only imagine what floated through my wicked mind again. There's number two.

We lost this fine man on Wednesday-Another disaster caused by cancer.  He fought the war against that C word, and from we thought....won.  We all came out to the races that Thanksgiving weekend, and had a blast watching his wife gleam with sheer pride as he won.  As a matter of fact as the National Anthem played, I had a huge knot in my throat. For him. For our country. For his friends, and family.


When they were told to start their engines, I cried.  I had goosebumps, and tears.  And while I held my cold beer in hand, it was all I could do but just left them sit on my cheeks.  Looking at the face of his wife.
Imagining her thoughts "my baby is out there, he kicked cancers ass, look at him!" 



He won the race that night. 
Friends dressed as rednecks to cheer him on were his biggest fans.  All of us cheering, yelling, and sipping cold brews.  He did it!  And that place wasn't gonna close up for the night until that WHOLE stadium knew who we were there to see. 
Although he lost the race to cancer, he is and will be our biggest hero in Havasu.  At the speedway, and on the lake.  We will celebrate for and with you Dave.


We had the honor of getting to know you.
We had the honor of watching you make those turns and burn that fuel.
We had the honor of celebrating your birthday with you last year....
Dancing our dirty dances at The Heat, like we were on a disco floor.
Except it was only like 6 of us out there.  But we felt good.
You won.  You were there. Cancer was gone. Your birthday was upon us all.

But then, Cancer came back.  As much as we all thought...hmmm Keep Calm And Carry On-

We were worried.

And this my friends, is our third.

I wish you all a peaceful weekend.  A weekend filled with love, good food, happy wine, hugs to and from.

Sand in your toes, or mountain air on your face.

Dave, God Speed dude.

Love,

This Mama Lisa

No comments: