Friday, June 26, 2015

As They Say.

"You entered our family at my Mother's side with wisdom and patience, though of your flesh I was not conceived, you cared and filled an empty need."

  I will be the first to tell you, we are a family filled with love yet made from hard work and years of working together. It's been that way since the day he landed on my nest of three. I'm sure our blended life wasn't always easy for this fine man.  As a matter of fact, I can remember many moments with a truck full of boys, as Kris was allowed to take a friend or two to the lake, and the energy alone could fuel the truck. My busy boy bouncing from one thing to the next.  I would watch Bill through my sunglasses with sheer amazement.  I was most certain he'd finally toss the towel in, and just run.

Or the moments that Kali would embark on a melt down.  Tears flowing because her hair didn't come out right, or her clothes "hurt"-  Or when he would ask her to not touch something while out, and she would most definitely touch it the second he turned his eye.  He'd catch her, and the circle of frustration would go on and on. It was those moments that I would shiver with nervousness.  Again, just waiting for this bachelor dude to pack it up and bail.  And yet, he stuck it out with me. With us.  
I can remember one time so well--We pulled into pick up the boat at the river.  Two boys, and a little girl. It's 110 out, and despite my promises of ice-cream all the way down Rice Road, it was all I could do to keep them calm enough for my bachelor lover. He never ever peeped a word. Some way, and some how we all just managed. Each trip.  On this particular day as we pulled in to town, I made the request to stop at the liquor store for well deserved popcicles.   

The look on his face as Kali stood there with her little braids, and orange and green slime from a push-up dripping down her little arms. Kris and Cody standing there armed with huge Sponge Bob gumball laced eyes ice-creams.  All arms, all faces, covered with ice-cream. I will never ever forget the look on Bill's face. At that point I couldn't muster up any words. Bill included.  Again, he never peeped a word.
Of course I carried wipies, along with extra everything you can possibly imagine.
I kept my bag of tricks in check.  At. All. Times.
There was another time we drove on a Friday evening all the way to Carmel for a wedding.  9 hours players. NINE.
Kris started reading the first Harry Potter book, well over 300 pages.
Finishing as we returned home on Sunday.
I had those trips all figured out with those little people.

The sum of all these explanations is this man never complained, and never left.  He has more patience than I have had in my entire life-time.  He just does. 
 Bill walked my walk. With me. 
The weeks, months and years turned into where we are today.
He's the man with a title that organically turned to "Dad"-
His notion that if "mama is happy, everybody is happy" is a great mantra.
He's always made me feel loved.

I truly couldn't wait for the day that both kids would feel free to call him that title.  I never knew if he truly wanted to hear it, or if it would appear organically. 



And throughout the years I've come to know this man as my best friend.  My true soul mate.  And my confidant.  Even when I have a double chin in pictures.  He loves me. So lucky me, right?


Kris, Kali and I have been lucky enough to have him in our nest. 


Bill, I love you. 

The kids love you.  Fathers Day never felt so good.

And we thank you for sticking it out with us.  More than you may ever know.  Even when I tell you just how rad you are.  Often.

You really are.  

And I am still madly in love with you.

Cheers to the weekend kids!

LLS

No comments: