Monday, June 16, 2014

Things that stuck with me.

During the graduation week gala, there are several things that stuck with me.

Picking up my folks from the airport, on a breezy beautiful day in June, was magical. 

 I mean.  Seriously.  Landing here for lunch on Seal Beach-Main St. together.  Magical.

Rolling into Chris-n-Pitt's a mere 4 hours later, we were stuffed, yet giddy from the love surrounding this visit.  All together.....reminiscing of our many meals shared there as young kids.  The shrimp, the halibut that is now off the menu.  Many things have changed.  Isn't this just true in life?  Everything changes. But these moments, magical.

Graduation morning, as I woke up realizing the day I had planned for so many years, fell upon me like another day. It was so peaceful.  We enjoyed a quiet lunch together. Just Kali and I.  I knew what was ahead of us.
Trying to plan out where to eat with such a large amount of people.  So I sat back...many times taking a huge deep breath.  Reminding myself, that the long lines.  The traffic to get to and from, the gap in moments to take it all in, was meant to be.  To take it in.  The chaos to get in was exactly what was expected. Getting scanned one by one.  People cutting, while others lost their cool.  Sweat dripping down our backs, while frazzled energy pushed the crowd forward.  Many toting flowers, lei's, cards, and chair pads.  Trying to keep it magical.  Reminding my sister at times, that we'd move through this just like anything, and tomorrow would come sooner than we'd want it to.

 To see my Dad in the crowd was probably the best feeling of all.
As we watched the crowd become settled.  The graduation music and ceremony set to start, when we finally spotted this girl.  I wrote her a note during the day, placing it on her bed.  Begging her to really soak up the moments. Keep the little bits of magic.....magic. 
 I couldn't help but grin each time I would turn my head this way.  My Dad.
Beach balls, blown up naughty dolls, balls filled with plastic wieners keeping it just a tad bit weird. So spicy and so funny.  A much needed laughter in this crowd. Seriously.





First Grandson.





And that's a wrap.  Popped beach balls and all. 
Proud.  So proud.  Magical.

I love this picture.....

This one too.


Okay, these too. 




"They did it"

As explained earlier when both daughters/granddaughters/nieces/cousins- graduate...the scramble of "where to eat"- became just a tad bit boggling.  Not to mention, Kali and Gio just wanted to be together.  And if you know the way we work, we just go with what makes our girl/Gio happy.  So smooshing into the Castillo's plans would be the best plan.  I promised myself on the very first day of June, that I would NOT stress over these little details.  I just wouldn't.  We will celebrate Kali's next venture next month. 

Celebratory shot with Mama B.  Because why not.  A few times, I'd lean back and catch eye contact with our girl, and boy (Gio) and a complete smile would beam up on their face.  This is what they wanted.  Both Dads adorn the table ends, and their family tucked in the middle.  Grad night would start within 2 hours- From 10pm-5am- xo

My mama and her mama.  The home that has never changed for me. Ever.  Sorry Grandma for posting this one.  But you two little lovelies refuse pictures, and well.....

I would bet to say, the last time we stood together in my Grandma's kitchen side by side would be well over 30 years ago.   This picture? Magical.

Sister+Grandma's backyard.  Sweet.
Dad and uncle

Our birdies. Chapter Eighteen.



I spy....pepper in her tooth.

Beauty.

Hey world, meet "Susie".  Rescued by Jeff from a shelter.  Her third and final home. 



Some of our tribe.

Too much going on.

As Friday would soon wrap up, we all went our separate ways.  Me to the beach side to snuggle with my lover to catch the Kings game.  (bad-ass, by the way)-
Watching the game, watching birds, and watching a fire glisten away.

Too much a coward to deal with my parents leaving the next day.



 And so I sat here.  Next to what makes me most comfortable.  Bill, you have and will forever be my rock.

Our daughter graduated.  Our niece graduated.  Gianni graduated. They made it through the grad night party.  I held, and hugged my parents.  I had moments with family at my grandma's house that was beyond magical.  I laughed alot. The one thing that I pulled away from, was "goodbye"-

Saturday morning I would wake knowing that was it.  They'd be out of here, and back to their mountain. 

The memories are tucked away like magic in me.  

I am thankful.

I am proud. 

The things that stuck with me were the simple things. 

Magical moments with family and friends.  In this life. 
 
We're pretty lucky if you ask me.

Happy Monday Mama's and Papa's.


xo


Love and best wishes to you all,

Leese


No comments: