Thursday, October 20, 2016

Hot Rods And Hot Air

For the last, well...... I think 12 years Bill and I have headed up to the lake for a hot rod, hot cars, and hot women, car show.  Just kidding on the hot women.  This time of year the clock strikes midnight and things take a turn.  Bathing suits, (well most of them...) and a channel filled with hot boats, turn into EZup awnings, and good ol' folk with the names of like Dotty, and Dick.  Or Jim and Nancy.  Or Betty and Bob.  Ice chests sit in the middle and you'll find a bunch of folks sitting in their circle shootin' the shit about life. About the days in which WE are currently in.  Working folks. Not quite in the "retired" club.   

Lake Havasu, in the season of October.....
It's called...

"Run To The Sun"

Our tradition.

 W.H.A.T. am I wearing!?!  Musta hit the maternity department at Walmart that morning.  Dang.
 Happy Anniversary Sean!



 Sorry Sean, had to.
 I think this is 2009?

Everything changes.  

The only thing that doesn't change is what we bring. And who we meet there. 

The temps start to fall.  The nights are cooler.  The mornings offer quiet moments sitting outside sippin our cup-o-jo.  Smiling at one another. More so this year because last year....well, we didn't make it. 

Every year they hand out these dorky plastic mugs.  Funny thing is, the older I get the more I've come to appreciate that dorky little mug.  Not so much for the vanity or looks of it, but more so for the year printed on the side. 

Because as you know in this life you appreciate making it through another day.  Another week. Or another year.  You learn to appreciate making that long trek up there.  Hauling a big ol' trailer with a classic truck inside. Wind strong this time of year in certain area.  Strong enough to make us both pucker.  
The tomboy in me comes out. And I stare intently in the mirror like I'm gonna be able to help the "sitch"-, when in reality...ain't nothin' I can do....but pucker up. 

I mentioned to the kids of our departure day, and of course I always have a tinge of guilt as though I should rally the nest back together, etc...
But then I mention the whole "lovers get-away", and they both hit reverse, fast.
[imagine a stick figure walking backward doing the michael jackson moon slide-LOL]

So pray for us as we venture across the desert to hug the friends we've made in all the years past.
Refreshing our souls just a little. 
Pray my birdies stay safe and that if any changes need to be made that God allows my strength and heart the will to handle it. 

My wish to you is another beautiful weekend with the things you love.  Like your kitties, or your doggies, or any kids left at home.  Or shoot, even that favorite blanket curled up on your bed reading your favorite book.  Or get reallll crazy and maybe bake a whole chicken like I did, and slice some oranges real thin underneath, and stuff that dude with some fresh rosemary....line the bottom with olive oil and seasoning....

Be thankful for this life you've been given.  Because you are so lucky to be here.  Even when the days seem hard.  You are so lucky.  So so lucky.


May you be blessed, 

This Mama Lisa 




No comments: