Sunday, November 28, 2010

What makes my Thanksgiving gatherings sweet...

Every year after Bill's done carving the turkey the kids take the carcaus to this river bed along side our homes. One Thanksgiving evening we sat out by the fire, and heard the Coyote's come along down their path to the lake and when they found this surprise you could hear them howling with happiness. Our little gift to them.
I've always loved to gather friends and family together. This year Bill's family came up. My last hosting was for my family. I missed my family this year. It's funny how every family has their own little traditions. Whether it's the way the turkey is done, or the stuffing...(my cousins is amazing) or the way my Aunts helps carve the finishing touches of the turkey...Although preparing a big meal for everyone can be a little stressful...(because I like cute little touches to everything..detail detail detail!) I try to remember why we are there. And really the little details don't matter as much as knowing everyone made it there safely. To think we all live 350 miles away...we gather, we have fun...we eat, drink and enjoy the company of others. Especially the kids. Pictured is Mitchell and Ava...Kali and Riki. They were teaching Mitchell the song "The wheels on the bus go round and round"- Our kitchen...while everyone enjoyed their meal.

Lance, Shirley, Derek and Bill.



I have to say I heard from several people this night that my gravy, stuffing and green beans were absolutely amazing. I do make my gravy from scratch (Thank you Mom) and it felt darn good to hear that. When you are a perfectionist like myself, the more perfect things turn out, the better. Especially when your elders, inlaws, and pro cookers are staring over the counter as you finish up the final touches. No pressure at all! haha. But it feels so good to be complimented on something you fret. It makes it all worth it times ten.


Pictured above, from left to right.. Gaylord, Jordan, Larry and Art.




No comments: