Friday, July 17, 2009

Seal Beach Jr. Lifeguards- Boat Speed Jump Drill July 17th 2009





Kali is currently enrolled in Seal Beach Jr. Lifeguards, 5 days a week. The lifesaving drills taught are plentiful, and the workouts are extreme. A terrible tragedy took place this week at the Huntington Beach Jr. LG's. An 11 year old girl was struck and killed by the operator of the Lifeguard boat. These programs have taken place since 1967, pretty much accident free. This was an aweful "accident". Our thoughts and prayers are extended to her family and those involved in this terrible incident. This morning Kali and I were running behind...,normally we are one of the first families to arrive at the beach. While she jumped out of the car..with our hurried "I love you's " I noticed the lifeguard boat off shore, waiting for a group of kids. I then noticed, it was her instructor, "Nate". stretching and getting his kids ready for "Their jump" - With this said..I of course grabbed my camera, my phone and hightailed up the ramp onto the pier. As she ran out to the water, I continued on the pier, watching their faces, the excitement, yet the feeling I'm sure all of us felt..."that poor little girl that lost her life doing this same drill"- So I sat there in silence, said a little prayer, got goose bumps on my arms, and watched my baby, swim out...crawl onto the boat..and go through steps, while listening closely to her instructors, and driver..and out they went. Here are a few pictures. We do alot of boating, and stay on the beach alot, therefore, these survival drills will only help Kali, or perhaps someone we know, or don't know. Cheers Kali! We're so proud of you-

No comments: